PDA

View Full Version : Star Trail photography

rgen
07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Hello

i am fairly new to SLR and I have been trying to do some star photography. In particular, i wish to create some star trails. Unfortunately I am not able to get the camera to take the shot. Here is what I have tried so far:

1). Tripod, remote and set camera to Manual.
2). Set A to F11 and Set S = bulb
3). focus on an object near infinity.
4). change it to MF
5). move the camera to the stars
6). press remote

The camera will not take the shot. I have tested the remote and it is fine indoors.

I have been able to take a moon shot but not the stars.

Note: i was using a 24-75 Nikon Lens. It was set at 24mm.

Am I missing a step or a camera setting somewhere. thanks.

colemanr
07-26-2007, 11:04 AM
You have to tell the camera to use the remote. See page 36-38 in the manual for the different options to do that, but the gist is that you need to hit the single/continuous/self-timer/remote button on the top of the camera until the right icon comes up.

Hope that helps,
Rob

rgen
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
You have to tell the camera to use the remote. See page 36-38 in the manual for the different options to do that, but the gist is that you need to hit the single/continuous/self-timer/remote button on the top of the camera until the right icon comes up.

Hope that helps,
Rob

thanks for the reply. Yes I did set it to use the remote. I also tried it without the remote. it seems to be trying to focus even though it is on MF. I tried turning the camera off as well as reconnecting the len.

hmm. perhaps it the lens itself. :

colemanr
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
When you flip the switch on the camera to manual focus, the AF-A, AF-S, AF-C indicators should all disappear from the camera's top screen. Are any of those still being displayed?

It's not clear to me whether you're switching to manual focus on the lens or on the camera (or whether it really matters), but I'd try the switch on the camera and make sure that the above indicators actually go away.

Rob