PDA

View Full Version : How do you know exposure is right on SLR?

kardinal
07-25-2007, 04:07 AM
I dont have a SLR. On my A95, I see the exposure when I half press the shutter. like -1/3 or +2 etc. I understand we have to compose the shot through viewfinder in case of SLRs, how will we know the exposure? Ofcourse when shooting in the manual mode.

K1W1
07-25-2007, 04:15 AM
Most (all?) DSLRs have an exposure meter in the viewfinder that indicates whether the scene is correctly exposed or the degree to which it is under or over exposed so you can make adjustments.
Of course you can also use the auto or semi auto modes and let the camera make it's own decisions if you want.

kardinal
07-25-2007, 04:29 AM
oh, OK. Thanks K1W1.

aparmley
07-25-2007, 06:16 AM
Most (all?) DSLRs have an exposure meter in the viewfinder that indicates whether the scene is correctly exposed or the degree to which it is under or over exposed so you can make adjustments.
Of course you can also use the auto or semi auto modes and let the camera make it's own decisions if you want.

And the real kicker is that it all depends on how you want the scene exposed . . .

But to answer your question more directly, when in manual mode you will know the exposure because you are responsible for setting it. If you really wanted to know if that exposure is the correct exposure - this can only be based on experience and subject matter. I think everyone here can tell you that while the AE of the D40/D50/D80/D200's is really good, they are not always accurate. It takes time and experience to know when your camera will get it wrong and what to adjust to make it right. Many variables come into play when the cameras meter calculates what it believes is the proper exposure; color, tone, metering mode, position in frame, etc etc.

Then again maybe your's was a very simple question and I've overlooked the obvious answer:

Have a look at this page maybe this will help; it is the D80s viewfinder:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD80/page4.asp

While looking through the viewfinder information is displayed for you, the shutter speed, the aperture, the cameras exposure meter, ISO in some cases and more.

kardinal
07-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Thanks aparmley.The link was very useful for me, I kind of visualize it completely now. In the fig., number 6 was what I was looking for, I think.
The question was I choose the aperture to be f3.5 say, and set the shutter speed as 1/500, and look in to the viewfinder. Now 1/500 may be too bright or dark, I will have to increase or decrease it accordingly. So, looking at the meter in number 6 will tell me if it is in the negative side or positive side and change the shutter speed accordingly. Am I correct?
I dont want to ask questions on the 8 and 9 in that fig, that were confusing to me. They may be relevant if I own that camera.