PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 55-200mm VR operation, I'm not sure

louisl
07-20-2007, 06:58 AM
I recently took the plunge and purchase a Nikon D40 last month. So far I love the camera and just trying to learn more about photography. This week I broke down and bought a Nikon 55-200mm VR lens, but noticed an odd thing and not sure if this is normal.

After a taking a picture the lens moves (shifts in a way). It’s like its adjusting or something. Is this normal? I noticed a few folks here have the same setup and hope they can shed some light on this for me. Also I noticed if the switch is set to VR (on the lens) this is when it happens, but when I move it (the switch) the lens does not move after ataking a shot. I hope I'm making sense. I guess I’m concerned and just want to make sure I didnt get a bad lens.

herc182
07-20-2007, 07:07 AM
Thats totally normal. Thats what VR does. it shifts the lens to counter your shaking....so dont take it back!

Rooz
07-20-2007, 07:12 AM
if its real quiet you will also hear VR whirring or kinda clicking...strange sound and unsettling at first. this is totally normal also.

louisl
07-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Thats totally normal. Thats what VR does. it shifts the lens to counter your shaking....so dont take it back!

herc182 and Rooz thank you. OK I did understand the VR thing, but did not know the lens would shift after the shot was already taken. I feel much better now. :) I thought something was wrong and tried to find some notes on the operation but nothing I came across seemed to mention it.

Rooz
07-20-2007, 07:21 AM
hard to do a "net diagnosis" mind you. if you're at all concerned and its convenient, i would go back to the retailer and either try another lens to see if it does the same thing or ask them if its normal.

on the surface, it sounds like normal operation though. all my VR lens' including the 18-200, 70-300 and 70-200 make the same noise/ movement.

wtay awhile, post some pics. i love NYC. :)

herc182
07-20-2007, 07:36 AM
http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfolio/about/technology/nikon_technology/vr_e/index.htm

it takes ages to come up but worth it. explains it all!

achuang
07-22-2007, 03:50 AM
Don't worry it's normal, my lens does the same thing. VR starts working when you half press the shutter button and stops working maybe half a second after you release the button like after you've taken a photo.

bobc4d
07-26-2007, 07:47 PM
I also just purchased the D40 and 55-200 VR. I love the camera and lens. I noticed the knocking/shifting thing as well and kinda sorta figured it was normal. never hurts to ask just to be sure

fionndruinne
07-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I love my D40, but I certainly need that 55-200mm VR. Here in coastal Oregon there are some great things which just sit out there begging me to capture them, but I need some more reach.