PDA

View Full Version : This shot got published

K1W1
07-18-2007, 04:05 AM
I manage to get a soccer (winter) or cricket (summer) shot in the local free paper a couple of times a month. I submit three or four and I usually know which one they will publish but this week they published this one.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1269/837295296_597a10499f_b.jpg

I prefer the one I put on the POTD thread.
Am I wrong?
I assume they didn't use the other one because there were no faces.

rawpaw18
07-18-2007, 04:52 AM
Your one in the potd has the ball-in-frame that is so desired in
most sport shots, but the cars in the parking lot are a lot more
visible than this one.

In this one, number 14 appears to be stepping on ther shoe of
the little guy so he can not move, I also like the muddy field.

I would still think most times they would want to see the ball
in the shot, that and maybe more of their faces.

Do you usually agreee with the ones they publish?

K1W1
07-18-2007, 05:08 AM
Yes the basic requirements are a contest, no pain (can't show kids hurting these days), faces and the ball. I usually know which one they will use and only submit several so they think they are making the decision. :) That's why I'm perplexed about what they picked this week.

This one was a sitter and was published.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1228/555898399_c83b773789_b.jpg

wh0128
07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
Yea most of the time they want to action with the ball like the one above and that killler facial expression that kid is making :) .

I really like your soccer/cricket photos. Keep posting them!

rawpaw18
07-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Maybe one of the kids parents work at the paper, and thought
it would be great to have the son in the paper, who knows?
It would be nice to know the reasoning but I think it just came
down to preference of the person choosing the photo. They might
not of realized that the ball was not even in the picture.

Anyways congrats on getting your shots published, has to be a good feeling!

erichlund
07-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Maybe one of the kids parents work at the paper, and thought
it would be great to have the son in the paper, who knows?
It would be nice to know the reasoning but I think it just came
down to preference of the person choosing the photo. They might
not of realized that the ball was not even in the picture.

Anyways congrats on getting your shots published, has to be a good feeling!
This is so true. My wife just created a piece for the Orange County Fair, a purse she designed and made from scratch. Everyone she showed it to raved about it, yet it didn't win even an honorable mention. OTOH, a piece in the original work category Rachel knows to be made from a pattern placed 2nd. And another piece made from a pattern that my wife provided placed third. Technically, both of those should have been disqualified. It's all subjective.

iamaelephant
07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
To be honest K1W1, (don't take this personally) I'm not a fan of the picture you posted here (the OP). On the other hand, I really liked the one in the POTD thread, so I'm perplexed as to why this one was chosen. No faces are clearly visible, the ball isn't clearly visible, No 10's head has been cut off and there are distractions in the BG (flag, cars, parents). On the other hand, it is sharp and nicely exposed. I love the second picture you posted!

tim11
07-19-2007, 09:05 PM

This one was a sitter and was published.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1228/555898399_c83b773789_b.jpg

Everyone to their own and this is my 2 cents. :)
I really prefer this sitter to the one in original post. Sure this one is blurry and hazy and the facial expression ain't pretty but it adds to the tension of the game. And blind freddy can tell they are playing soccer.
As for the original post, the boys could be doing anything. Break dancing or involving in after match brawl. And like mentioned already: too much distractions, badly cropped and most important - no face.

K1W1
07-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Thanks everybody. At least I know that if I can't see what is in the published picture I'm not the only one. The reason that it was submitted was purely to make the one in the POTD thread look better. :D:D
Maybe they are just showing me who is in charge. :mad:
As to the haziness of the second picture it goes with the mood of the day. It was so foggy you could at times not see from one end of the field to the other and apart from that my sons team lost 0-3 :mad:

Thanks again.