PDA

View Full Version : Spyware

Puck
12-23-2004, 07:46 AM
I've noticed that the last few times I've logged on to this forum my "Spybot Search & Destroy" program has had to block spyware "Avenue A" & "Gator" from loading on my computer. I've not had that happen on other forums. Anyone else notice that here? I'd recommend that if you don't have a spyware preventing and/or deleting program on your computer you get one. I use the one mentioned above as well as "Ad-Aware" both of which are free.

Rhys
12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
If you're going to download software, make sure you run a registry-tracking program to monitor what changes it makes as it installs.

I downloaded an AVI to MPEG converter from direct-soft inc. It totally screwed up my XP system. Of course, Norton wasn't monitoring the system. In fact, Norton doesn't seem to do much of anything unlike when Norton was on my Windows 98 system. So I had to reformat and reinstall XP. Gee thanks direct-soft for writing such bad software and refusing to reply to emails!

Moral - don't trust downloads (especially from direct-soft inc)

judge9847
12-23-2004, 04:29 PM
I've noticed that the last few times I've logged on to this forum my "Spybot Search & Destroy" program has had to block spyware "Avenue A" & "Gator" from loading on my computer. I've not had that happen on other forums. Anyone else notice that here? I'd recommend that if you don't have a spyware preventing and/or deleting program on your computer you get one. I use the one mentioned above as well as "Ad-Aware" both of which are free.
This subject has been spoken about several times on the forum already so rather than deal with it again, have a look here (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2824) and see if that helps at all.