PDA

View Full Version : Extra D40 rechargeable battery - where to buy?

500mL
07-17-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering, has anyone bought those non-OEM EN-EL9 1800 mAh through eBay? I'm thinking of getting a spare battery and maybe someone/anyone could give me a good advice where to get them cheaper. Any comment or suggestions welcome. Cheers! :D

-500mL-

K1W1
07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Can't speak for the EN-EL9's but I have read many reports of people buying EN-EL3's off ebay and being disappointed with the run times being nowhere near what the factory batteries provide.
You are actually only going to save a few dollars and potentially have a problem with warranty if Nikon believe that the non genuine battery caused problems with your camera so is it really worth it?

tcadwall
07-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I can't speak for that specific battery, but I use a non-OEM spare that my local camera shop recommended (even though I was willing to spend double for the Nikon). It is ProMaster brand (and likely made by Nikon). I notice no difference in performance, charge time, duration, etc. Since it is for a D70s it is an EN-EL3a replacement. The actual Promaster part number is "PEN-EL3A". There is a PEN-EL9 as well. But I am not sure that there is a difference in cost. I saw both the nikon and the Promaster for about the same cost. In that case, I too would go nikon.

K1W1
07-18-2007, 03:58 AM
I doubt very much whether Nikon actually make the batteries. The individual cells are (or at least) were made by Sony which is why they had the recall a few years ago at the same time as all the dud Dell, Toshiba and Apple notebook cells also made by Sony. More than likely a contract battery manufacturer will make the cells into battery packs to Nikons spec. Often what happens is that the products are graded in QC. If the meet the spec they get a Nikon label, if they are just outside the spec they get a "good aftermarket brand" label (in this case maybe something like Promaster), one more step away from spec and they get a second tier label then after that you start to find them real cheap on eBay under some no name brand.
I still prefer to purchase the real thing in this case but at least by buying from a local camera store gives you some fall back if there are any subsequent issues, much better than eBay from Hong Kong. I would also assume that any cheap Nikon brand batteries on eBay are probably fakes anyway.

tcadwall
07-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Interesting... Yeah, makes sense that Nikon doesn't make them... I guess I meant that they are likely the same battery (same manufacturer). Promaster does say that they are as good or better - but we know how marketing can be. Some of the Promaster batteries are actually rated with higher mH than the Nikon originals. I don't know, just that for me, I haven't had any regrets.

Promaster also re-brands lenses. Most of their lenses are re-brandedTokina.

K1W1
07-18-2007, 07:20 AM
I guess I meant that they are likely the same battery (same manufacturer).

More than likely.
If you take an EN-EL3 apart what you will find inside is 2 AA sized LiION cells inside (exactly the same size as the ones you buy for a torch or remote control, etc) plus a little circuit board and some wires. The plastic and the wires are largely immaterial where the difference will be between brands is the quality of the components on the board and the actual manufacturer of the cells. It's entirely possible that Promaster buy from the same source as Nikon.

XaiLo
07-18-2007, 06:49 PM
I picked up a extra Nikon battery from B&H, but to be honest the only times I've really used it with the exception of one time is when I forget to charrge the main one. The battery life is really great but a spare is always good to have.:)

500mL
07-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you all for the timely replies.
It makes very good sense to just get the Nikon brand. It's not worth going through the hassle of getting a non-OEM battery that can cause my camera to get messed up. There is always that little chance that it could happen :eek:

-500mL-