PDA

View Full Version : Back from Africa

urfslam
07-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Sometimes eveything is right and you just can't help taking a good picture. I know everyone is going to ask for the exposure info but I don't have it with me now. I'd like some comments on the "look" of the photo though.

Thanks,

Peter

Rooz
07-17-2007, 06:18 AM
welcome back.
can you resize it to 800px wide. it wont fit on my screen. :)

K1W1
07-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I've got a 1440 pixel wide screen and it still doesn't fit. :):)
Is it my eyes or are the Lions eyes a little out of focus?

tcadwall
07-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Is it my eyes or are the Lions eyes a little out of focus?
I can't really see the focus point. Not sure but possibly a zoom lens that is at the end of its range and a bit soft there? Or maybe just a tad of camera shake - not real obvious but enough to lose some sharpness.

Of course, because of the resolution the image was posted at, we are pixel-peeking, and the print will probably look GREAT.

When you add exposure information be sure to include the lens and focal length as well. Also if you did any cropping post that info too.

I am sure you experienced things you will never forget!:)

r3g
07-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Im so jealous!

XaiLo
07-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Composition is very good but it does look soft what lens were you using?

tim11
07-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Was it taken from a moving vehicle?

wh0128
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Looks like a good shot. Can't wait till you resize it so everyone can take a look at it as a whole instead of scrolling over/up/down.

I wish I could go to Africa:(

Viky
07-19-2007, 04:33 AM
Nice pic.... just resized, and sharpened and cropped.. hope you don't mind:)

urfslam
07-19-2007, 04:59 AM
Thank you for doing that, I have no problem. Yet another thing you guys can do that I can't.

Peter

Rooz
07-19-2007, 05:53 AM
we all start somewhere pete.
post some more photos mate, love to see them.

longroad
07-19-2007, 05:54 AM
Thats a fantastic photo. Who cares about perfect sharpness when you had a lion looking RIGHT at you!!
Me = another person who is insanely jealous.

tcadwall
07-19-2007, 07:41 AM
amazing what a little sharpening can do... I tried to do this, but I have no software here at work to do it with, and didn't get a chance last night.

bobc4d
07-26-2007, 07:59 PM
here kitty kitty kitty.

Man that is a great photo, you couldn't have asked for a better "pose" from the lion he is looking you dead in the eye.

tim11
07-26-2007, 08:12 PM
Thank you for doing that, I have no problem. Yet another thing you guys can do that I can't.

Peter
These forums are not not about 'what I can do-you can't'. Please don't see people's comments in a negative way. We are all here to share ideas and learn from each other and personally I learned heaps from these people; stuff that will take me years to learn on my own.

urfslam
07-28-2007, 12:57 AM
These forums are not not about 'what I can do-you can't'. Please don't see people's comments in a negative way. We are all here to share ideas and learn from each other and personally I learned heaps from these people; stuff that will take me years to learn on my own.

Absolutely no offense was taken. Just acknowleding that some of you have a lot of skill, which I respect.

By the way I have the EXIF for the picture.

Nikon D80
2007/07/14 17:52:52
JPEG (8-bit) Fine
Image Size: Medium (2896 x 1944)
Color
Lens: 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 G
Focal Length: 135mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
1/400 sec - F/5.6
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 250
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Direct sunlight
AF Mode: AF-A
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0
Saturation: Auto
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off
High ISO NR: Off

Hope that helps. Also to answer one earlier question, it was shot from the top of a Land Cruiser that was stopped with the engine shut off. I was amazed at the difference in vibration at 300 mm zoom with the engine off as opposed to on. Sometimes I had to tell my six-year-old to hold still so I could take a picture. He was so excited to see things he shook the whole truck.

Urf

XaiLo
07-28-2007, 10:19 AM
urfslam, photo editing can be learned rather quickly and everything in it's due season. Here's my rendition I ran it through Photoshop:

sharpened the eyes
sharpened whole photo
curves adjustment
Exposure adjustment on left eye
Hue/Sat adjustment on right eye
and lastly cooled it down with a cooling filter
Oh and resize;) really nice capture dude:)
Hope you like it.

Edit: on reflection the left eye still bothered me
so I did some clone stamping in the pupil and replaced
the iris and highlight.

http://www.designsbyxailo.com/thepics/2007/07_jul/lion.jpg

anco85
08-03-2007, 05:21 AM
Now comes the part where I let you guys know ive been living in africa for round about 20 years :D

urfslam
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Now comes the part where I let you guys know ive been living in africa for round about 20 years :D

I suppose you like living in Africa. Funny thing about living somewhere, my friend from Durban (SA) took a look at my pictures from Africa and was upset because he said "I've lived in Africa all my life and you've seen more animals than I have." I've lived for extended periods of time in five different countries and found that often the locals don't take advantage of what the tourists come to see. Hope you are taking advantage of it.

Urf.:D

anco85
08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
the problem with living in africa and touring through africa is 2 fold.

1. Exchange rates. Lets take a nikon d200(can you tell I really want a nikon :D) It costs USD $800 for most of you guys. Over here, we need to import the cam from there, pay import duties and have to pay markups. The cheapest one I could find over here was round about USD $2000. :eek:

2. Living here means working here. I hardly get time to go walking around my neighborhood :(

Is there anyway to make a nikon dslr charity? :D

XaiLo
08-05-2007, 04:33 PM

1. Exchange rates. Lets take a nikon d200(can you tell I really want a nikon :D) It costs USD $800 for most of you guys. Over here, we need to import the cam from there, pay import duties and have to pay markups. The cheapest one I could find over here was round about USD $2000. :eek:

2. Living here means working here. I hardly get time to go walking around my neighborhood :(

Who's selling the D200 for $800:confused: B&H sells the (body only) for $1500.00

anco85
08-06-2007, 12:36 AM
I meant d80 sorry. Was busy viewing some d200 group shots and once again followed my eyes and not my mind :D

urfslam
08-06-2007, 11:10 AM

About #2, I know what you mean, when I lived in Hawaii, I was working and everyone else, it seemed, was on vacation. Especially my wife and son. It's a bummer.

About #1, depending on where you live in Africa it might be cheaper to fly up here to Dubai buy the camera and fly back home. I got my D80 here for about USD 1200 with the 18-135 kit lens. You could buy a carpet while your here. Just a thought.:D

Urf

anco85
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
About #2, I know what you mean, when I lived in Hawaii, I was working and everyone else, it seemed, was on vacation. Especially my wife and son. It's a bummer.

About #1, depending on where you live in Africa it might be cheaper to fly up here to Dubai buy the camera and fly back home. I got my D80 here for about USD 1200 with the 18-135 kit lens. You could buy a carpet while your here. Just a thought.:D

Urf

Or maybe get someone from Dubai to organise me one :D

mugsisme
08-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow, wow, wow! Can I ask how far from the lion you were? Especially since you were using a shorter lens? (I read on another forum where they said that 300mm wasn't good for shooting birds.) gosh, that lion looks like you can just walk over and pet it. LOL.

Do you have more shots?

urfslam
08-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Wow, wow, wow! Can I ask how far from the lion you were? Especially since you were using a shorter lens? (I read on another forum where they said that 300mm wasn't good for shooting birds.) gosh, that lion looks like you can just walk over and pet it. LOL.

Do you have more shots?

That lion was about 15-20 feet away. He was close enough that I was pretty nervous when he was looking at me. Yes I have a lot more pictures of lions. I'm in the process of uploading them to Flickr. When I have enough to make it worth the trip I'll post the link.

Urf