PDA

View Full Version : Settings For Fireworks And Waterfalls For Nikon D50

sofishan
07-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi Everyone

Would Like To Know The Settings For Snow,waterfalls And Fireworks For My New Nikon D50 And Also Let Me Know Whether Its Good To Use Auto Or Manual Mode As I Am New And I Got This Camera As A Gift.also Let Me Know Whats The Best Wide Angle Lens For My Camera And What Purpose Does It Serve.

Thanks

Sofishan:)

fionndruinne
07-14-2007, 01:06 PM
Well, I'll answer one of those questions for ya; as for fireworks, there are some different combinations yielding different effects, but I had some luck with my D40 in manual mode with ISO 200, f/16-f/22 and about 20-30 second exposures. Tripod required, of course. If your camera has a lower minimum ISO, I would use that, and up your f-stop (lower number, f/11 or f/16).

I would use P mode, programmed auto, if you've got it. Full auto doesn't allow you to change very much, and there are a few settings it would be well for you to learn right off. ISO is one; being able to change sensitivity allows you a better, wider range from bright to low-light situations. Exposure compensation allows you to get lighter or darker photos to suit you with one simple setting, and metering (spot or matrix) allows you to get more dramatic effects between lights and darks, or a more uniform lighting. You can work your way over to manual mode from P mode.

XaiLo
07-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Try "Understanding Exposure" Revised Edition by Bryan Peterson. It is a light read with plenty of practicle examples. It will teach one to assess what settings are needed to capture the picture you won't. And for under $20 delivered it's a steal.

toriaj
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
I have a D50, and I love waterfalls, too :) If you want the "milky water" effect you need to use a longer shutter speed than normal. It depends on the light and the amount of water coming over the falls, but I would use Shutter Priority (the S on the dial) and start at 1/20 sec., and go longer from there. You will need a tripod.

The best tip I have is to go at a time of day when the waterfall is shaded, such as after sundown. If you visited the waterfall during brighty sunlit conditions, there would be too much light. The photo would overexpose before you could get nice, blurry water.

Remember that your D50 will take exposures of up to 30 minutes. So you don't need to worry about it being too dark!! Another tip is to use the remote, if you have it. If not, use the self-timer. That will help to get clear shots.

If you want to get the "most milky" effect possible, check the Highlights feature in your LCD display. Make the shutter speed as long as possible without making a major portion of the water blink on the LCD. If it blinks, that means the highlights are blown and won't print well. Back the shutter speed back down until just little bits of the LCD are blinking.

You could also check out this thread (especially the last year's worth of it:D)
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6175&highlight=waterfalls