PDA

View Full Version : good time buy D200?

cheasie
07-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Hi,
Nikon D200 has been out for about 18 months now and I am thinking of getting one. However, there are rumors that there will be a new one coming out so that sort of makes me think twice. My question is that if there's a new one coming out for a semipro level DSLR, will it be around D200's price right now? Will the price of D200 drop? This will be my first DSLR and I am eager to learn. Please give me some advice.

XaiLo
07-13-2007, 07:15 PM
This is just a guess I would suspect the D2Xs would be next in line for an upgrade. The D200 is just too close to the D2xs imo any significant or compelling upgrade would put it at the D2Xs' door step; at present and that wouldn't make too much sense, unless they were going to replace the D2Xs also.

TNB
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
There are always rumours of a new camera body coming out--just ask any knowledgeable person about how long rumours have been floating around about a D3X--a lot longer than a D300. In my opinion, the thing to ask yourself is do you want to take photos with a D200 now, or wait... and how long do you want to wait? Also, if it's your first dSLR, you can always opt for a "lesser' camera, purchase some good glass, and then upgrade camera bodies--that is if you like any of the other camera bodies.

erichlund
07-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Here's a wait and see solution that might make some sense. Get a D40 with kit lens, and a 17-55DX. When you make up you mind to get the D200, or whatever comes next, you already have the great glass to go with it, and you can either sell the D40 or gift it to a family member so they can get involved in your hobby.

dxrocnxj
07-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Here's a wait and see solution that might make some sense. Get a D40 with kit lens, and a 17-55DX. When you make up you mind to get the D200, or whatever comes next, you already have the great glass to go with it, and you can either sell the D40 or gift it to a family member so they can get involved in your hobby.

thats what im doing. :D

Rooz
07-14-2007, 01:02 AM
like everyone its a guess if the d300 will be released this year. even if it does though it will be much more expensive than the d200 is now. like any consumer electornics goods, they are at the very top of their price cycle when released which is when you would be looking to buy.

you could be waiting something like 2 years for it to start coming down in price. the d200 will be discounted if and when the d300 comes out but i don't think it will be drop in price too steeply.

then just as the price starts to fall on the d300 you'll be thinking...i may wait for a d400 or a d90 or waiting for the d2x to drop in price. NAS is a nasty disease indeed.

not a bad idea with the d40 mind you.

uncleskull
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
Tomorrow's camera will not take pictures today.

Buy it; use it; enjoy it.

cheasie
07-15-2007, 01:44 AM
i am considering d200 because it is almost in the pro area and i can't get over the feeling of buying it now and see another newer semi pro coming out soon. thanks for all the input everyone, i'll take a few days to think about this.

Rooz
07-15-2007, 03:38 AM
whilei understand how hard it can be to take the plunge when you suspect there is a new model coming out. it also depends on how much money you have. here is the pricing history of the d200 from release. you notice how much cheaper it is now than release ? we're talking 1300GPB compares to 800GPB now. thats a whopping 500GBP difference which is some SERIOUS glass.

jcon
07-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I always get amused when there is a topic similar to this. I remember the same discussion when the D50 upgrade was released. Just because a newer model/version is released, it doesnt mean there is some lil mysterious chip inside the camera that will shut it down, LOL. It will still work, even if its discontinued. It will still take EXCELLENT pictures. I suspect there is a good reason you are thinking of getting the D200. Its a great camera, and will last you many years. If there is a newer version or upgrade soon to be released, its going to costan aweful lot of money. Like Rooz said, what you save by buying the D200(sheesh, never thought id say that) you can use on great lenses. Nobody even knows when the new models will actually hit the market... you could be waiting months!!!

While youre waiting, you will be missing the babies first step, that beautiful sunset, the game winning catch your child made.. or whatever it may be. If you like the D200, and lets be honest, if you dont like the D200, you should be shot in the head;), then get it, and enjoy it!

LR Max
07-15-2007, 05:09 PM
I think what he is saying is when is a good time to get a deal. I am in the same boat, waiting for a price that I like. Also I don't exactly have the cash for it at this moment. I think in the next few months the price will depreciate.

I wish I had the cash because new egg had D200s new for under 1200 bucks earlier this week. Thats great considering you can't buy a used D200 for that price.

cheasie
07-15-2007, 11:30 PM
newegg got a great price! about $300 dollars cheaper than RitzCamera, but I am in California and actually lives near Newegg's warehouse, so I will have to pay tax :(
I am really leaning towards to buy it now. Thanks for all the input people!

aparmley
07-16-2007, 07:07 AM
i can't get over the feeling of buying it now and see another newer semi pro coming out soon.

1. Then you'll never purchase a DSLR. Nikon is not quite as fast as Canon to get upgrades to the market, but there will always be a new camera right around the corner.

2. Ask any real photographer, It will not make 1 bit of difference in your photographs if you buy the D200 now and Nikon releases an update or if you wait to purchase that update when ever it comes. Well, no wait, I take that back, well, only part of it. If you go with the D200 now you give yourself the chance to be a more advanced photographer whenever the next release hits the shelves. But the point is: Bodies, lenses, strobes, tripods. . . ya they matter, but not as much as people want to believe.

Summary: Get the D200 now and stop worrying about it, whatever Nikon releases next will not give you or anyone else the ability to make better photographs.

Mr. Magoo
07-16-2007, 07:10 AM
Summary: Get the D200 now and stop worrying about it, whatever Nikon releases next will not give you or anyone else the ability to make better photographs.

Equipment may give you the edge in challenging situations, but a lousy photograph is still going to be a lousy photograph :-)

aparmley
07-16-2007, 08:24 AM
Equipment may give (you) a skilled photographer the edge in challenging situations, but a lousy photograph is still going to be a lousy photograph :-)

I agree. ;)

coldrain
07-16-2007, 08:32 AM
For one reason or another, you have set your mind on a D200 as your first DSLR.
This means that you do not have a DSLR at the moment. If or when Nikon will introduce a D200 follow-up with 12mp sensor in autumn, you will probably see it appear in the shops around december.

If you already had a DSLR, I'd say, wait with upgrading till the D200 might drop more in price. But now? You do not have a camera. That means no photos. I do not know what part of the world you are from, but here it will mean no photos during summer and autumn. That is a bit odd, to choose not to be able to make any photos all these months just to save a few dollars/euros/pounds/... (insert whatever coin denomination you want).

So... if right now you are waiting because you can not AFFORD the D200 at the moment, the D200 is not for you. I'd advise you to look at other, lower priced cameras since lenses also will cost a lot. If you are waiting just to get to pay a little bit less, then stop waiting, because you are missing many monthsof potentially good photo opportunities.

Ric
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I agree. ;)

It't the skill of the Indian not the arrow that makes the difference.:)

wh0128
07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
For the your first DSLR I'd say go with the D40 to see if you really like photography. Theres no sense in buying a DSLR that is expensive when you might not like what you're doing. If this hobby of yours is actually a profession that you are going to try to pursue, you might still want to buy the D40 or maybe the D70s or D50 which can be pretty cheap used on ebay or B&H.

You'll want to get somewhat decent glass meaning a couple hundred bucks added on to the price of that D200 body. I think its around 1500$ with a kit lens on B&H. Not sure about any other place. Try Adorama or even amazon.com for lenses.

And about the new Nikon camera...like coldrain said, there are too many photo opportunities to miss while waiting for a new DSLR from Nikon especially if you don't even have a DSLR in the first place.

tcadwall
07-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't go so far as to recommend the D40. That would be reserved for someone that doesn't have the money to plunk down some more. This doesn't seem to be the case at all. IMO this user already knows what and why, and is simply asking about timing.

We all know this (devaluation) is like computers, but actually a bit slower than computers. IOW the laptop you bought 6 months ago is worth 50% of what you paid for it then, but DSLR's don't lose their value that quickly. An event like a replacement model doesn't even really kill the pricing. It might make a small difference, but it will really just make the camera harder to find. Look for a D50 or D70s right now. I would recommend either one of those over the D40, and they still sell for about the same or more than a D40 if you can find them new.

So in my opinion, the timing isn't totally crucial. The D200 has gradually gone down in price, and it will likely continue to gradually go down in price, as any new replacement model will actually be introduced around the same price that the D200 was introduced. If the D200 was still going for the same price that it was introduced at, a replacement would definitely plummet the price.

Just my 2cents.

cheasie
07-26-2007, 12:19 AM
thanks for all of your opinion!
I was wondering if the place of manufacture matters for this camera, on Newegg, they showed a picture of this product from the bottom and it has a "Made in Thailand" sign. I am considering to purchase from Ritz or BeachCamera, will they sell the one from Japan?

Rooz
07-26-2007, 12:50 AM
all d200's come out of the same factory or sometimes more than one factory. some retailers will try and BS you and tell you that grey market goods or onine retailers are not from the same factory but this is BS.

if i'm not mistaken i think all D200's are made in thailand. so they are all shipped out of the same plant under the same nikon quality control regardless of supplier.

Sambru
07-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I bought a D200 last week, I already own a D80, I am very very impressed with the D200. I don't care if Nikon comes out with a D300 anytime soon, the D200 will be hard to beat. The color is fantastic. The D80 is an excellent camera, as well however I can take better photos with the 200.

Bullitt
07-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I just purchased the D200 today along with a Sigma 17-70 1:2.8-4.5 for the time being, hopefully it won't take too much reading to get familiar with the new aquisition... My next purchase will be a 70-? lens, not sure which brand yet... or possibly a longer fixed lens, any suggestions out there?