PDA

View Full Version : Anyone inetersted in buying a Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro ?

Rooz
07-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi all. I have an opportunity to pick up a sigma 150mmf2.8 macro from a friend who has just upgraded to the 105VR so i am selling my tamron.

i will be putting it on ebay but thought if anyone here is interested we could look after eachother. the lens is in mint condition and is optically perfect. it will come with the original box, tamron lens bag etc. most of you have seen the macro shots i have posted so you know that it is capable of producing amazing shots.

if anyone is interested please PM me and we can talk about price/ postage. i don;t mind posting anywhere and it will be very hardily packed. :)

longroad
07-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Price range?

Can you link to some of your shots with it, thanks :)

Rooz
07-11-2007, 07:28 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10435080@N00/sets/72157600088949207/

you can also find heaps of tam photos on flickr.

i think new they retail for around the $580-600AUD mark from memory. you can get it mailed to you from Hong Kong via ebay for around $480. lets say we make it $350 plus postage. happy for you to pick up.

longroad
07-11-2007, 07:34 PM
OK hold the sale for a moment, i have a few noob questions ;)

1. Noting my current lenses in my sig, will this one completely outdo them in the insect photography stakes?

2. Is this the SP AF Di version?

3. Im not totally familiar with macro lenses. My understanding is that they allow you to get in alot closer than a regular lens. With a normal lens 90mm would require you to stand back quite far to frame a shot, so how does this work with macro.

Once I "get it" I'll pm you :D

Rooz
07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
OK hold the sale for a moment, i have a few noob questions ;)

1. Noting my current lenses in my sig, will this one completely outdo them in the insect photography stakes?

No comparison. This is a true macro lens. none of your lens' will come close to what this one can do.

2. Is this the SP AF Di version?

Yes, it is the "latest" model.

3. Im not totally familiar with macro lenses. My understanding is that they allow you to get in alot closer than a regular lens. With a normal lens 90mm would require you to stand back quite far to frame a shot, so how does this work with macro.

yes, they allow for closer focussing and produce a 1:1 ratio of your subject from lens-> sensor. standard lens' are something like 4:1 i think. some sigma's offer a macro feature which is around 3:1 or maybe even 2.5:1. so while its good, they aren't in the same league.

you can buy a reveral ring, extention tubes and a close up filter to attach to your current lens' whcih will give you a good macro mode for a cheaper price. just saw some pretty stunning results from the 50mm f1.8 reversed by leyo and reg. but of course if you want the best possible macro shots you need to buy a macro lens.

wh0128
07-11-2007, 07:44 PM
1. It should beat all of your lenses in the macro area of photography. I don't know how close it focuses down to but that is a key factor. Also what you'll want to know is if the macro is a true macro, meaning a 1:1 reproduction ratio. Some macro's aren't really macros.

3. even if it is a 90mm it can still allow you to focus down to a really close distance. The closest you can be to an object with this lens is 11.4" and with 90mm you'll be pretty close to the object. And don't forget there is a crop factor since Nikon's sensors are 1.5x smaller than the size of a full size sensor.

On B&H it says this about the lens.
-Provides life-size 1:1 macro images
-Ideal as portrait lens
-One-touch AF/MF switchover by simply sliding the focusing ring back and forth
-"Di" design optimized for digital and photo cameras

GaryS
07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Thats a good deal you are giving Rooz. If I could find a way to stick it on my XTi....

longroad
07-11-2007, 08:52 PM
It is a good buy, pretty sure Im going to get it :)

tcadwall
07-11-2007, 10:45 PM
How much do you think shipping would be to the good ole US?

That might kill the deal, but I am game to entertain the idea!.... Been looking for one of these used at my local shops lately.

longroad
07-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Im picking this up on the weekend, sorry tcadwall:cool:

tcadwall
07-12-2007, 06:11 AM
no big deal.... I am sure they are probably harder to come by down there.
I'm not really in a rush for one anyway. Just "watching out" for a deal on a used one - not pursuing.
Happy for you! Seems to be a very decent lens.

coldrain
07-12-2007, 08:52 AM
It is a very good lens, both for macro and for portrait work...
It is optically one of the best, if not the best, macro lenses in the 100mm class, and its slighly shorter focal length compared to 105mm make it great for portraits, as does its excellent optical performance in both macro and "infinity" focussing.

I hope you will like the images your new 150mm Sigma will produce, Rooz. I can not wait to see some results from it. I know you have been drooling over it ever since you read the glowing review of the sample photozone tested...
The different focal length will give you a different perspective on things.

Hopefully in future I will complement my 90mm Tamron with either a 180mm f3.5 macro from Tamron or from Canon. Those are to drool over too *slurp*

longroad
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I'll be sure to post some pics up when I buy this lens, although they won't be nearly as good as Rooz's will be with his new lens :)