PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for some help when buying S3 vs S5

jhon35
07-11-2007, 01:11 AM
Hello everyone,
I am new here and I am very impressed with the members here, their knowledge levels and willingness to help others. You are commended :)
I currently have a S2 IS that I love, I am still learning digital photography and I consider my bench warmer when it comes to it, but the more I do it the more I love it.
My current issue is purchasing the S3 vs S5. I will be keeping the S2 with us at all times when we go places (on the boat, kids soccer games etc etc etc) but want another camera that we can use as well, both me and my spouse can then shoot and not miss anything. Plus we use the Video feature all time and love it.
I can get the S3 for 294 which is a great price on a great camera, or pay $200 more and get the S5.
If I look on the review in this website and also on all the review published in the internet I can see that the S5 Is ranked higher - http://www.viewscore.com/vsPP/3/2119
I plan on using it for actions shots (kids soccer, baseball etc), beach shots (sunsets and day time shots), along with various other uses esp video. So I would like if all the experts could chime in and help me out here, I am just not educated about cameras and Digital photography at this time to choose. I have lurked a long time before registering and read just about every thread on the S3 vs S5 choices, some helpful some not....but give what I plan on using for it I am leaning for the S3 saving the extra and then going for the S6 or S7 later on....but I could be totally off.
Any help on this would great :)

griptape
07-11-2007, 06:29 AM
If you can live without the hot shoe, the extra megapixels, and the bigger LCD screen, and most of your time will be spent outdoors, I doubt you'll notice a difference. Noise control (from what I've seen) is better on the S5, but that's not an issue with outdoor daytime. Also worth mentioning though is the movie recording time is limited to 1GB on the S3 (about 9 minutes highest quality) and you can go to the limit of your card on the S5. So if you plan on shooting movies continuously for more than 9 minutes, it's something to think about.

Also, the link you posted is to a Fuji S5, not a Canon S5. Which are absolutely nothing alike. So I guess I should ask if you're referring to Fuji or Canon.

Visual Reality
07-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not convinced noise is much different after seeing the review here on DCRP.

Basically just look at the review and compare what was changed on the S5. If you can do without those changes, definetely don't waste the money on it.