PDA

View Full Version : Free one click Panoramas

K1W1
07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Has anybody else tried Autostitch (http://www.autostitch.net)?

It's a free piece of software developed by students at the University of British Columbia that combines images into a horizontal and vertical panorama with one click.

Here is a sample;

This is a quick combination of three photos just to show the variations in exposure,

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1083/743007306_98d582f0c9_b.jpg

Select the three images in Autostitch wait 20 seconds and this is what you get (totally unedited).

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1096/743008316_22844c4039_b.jpg

rawpaw18
07-07-2007, 05:06 AM
I used it and thought it was very cool. I took a load of pictures at a baseball game, dumped them into the program and just let it do it's thing. I started from my left and went around to my right , here it is uncropped after autostitch stitched them together.

toriaj
07-07-2007, 08:32 PM
I used it and achieved acceptable results, but on my *overloaded* laptop it was extremely slow! It can't do RAW, and takes forever (read: 30 minutes plus) to do full-size images, if it will at all. Smaller sizes are better, though. And I'm sure that on a better computer, the speed would be acceptable.

K1W1
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
No it can only do jpegs but what sort of laptop do you have?
The image I posted was done on a very old PC with a Celeron 1.1Ghz CPU and it rendered that is less than 20 seconds. I did another one that was 11 jpegs in a two row image (5 on top 6 underneath and they were rendered in not much longer on the same PC.

Prospero
07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
These results look very decent. Autostitch seems like a great piece of software. I use PTGui for stitching panoramas myself. It is also very powerful, but not free. I prefer it over autostitch and other programs because it gives you a lot of control over the final result. It takes more time to create a panorama, though.

Also, autostich only supports spherical projection, which is fine for landscapes but when you want to create a panorama of the front of a building, it will create fish-eye like distortions. PTGui also supports Planar and Cylindrical projection methods.

wh0128
07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
I'll have to try it out on a sunset here what I live and put the photos through the program and see how good the panoramas turn out.

Thanks for sharing K1W1.

toriaj
07-08-2007, 07:10 PM
It's not the laptop's fault ... :rolleyes: it's a Gateway 4540GZ (2 1/2 years old, I think) that has WAY too many programs and files loaded.
Even PictureProject shuts down on a regular basis, and both my image editors take a while to open images. That's why I want a new computer (dreaming ;))
Autostitch does pretty well if I let it stitch at 10% :eek: the other drawback I see in it is that it won't align two files of the same picture,
for HDR purposes. Sometimes even a tripod isn't still enough!

Paradox
07-23-2007, 08:04 AM
I just gave it a try, it took about 5 minutes to render 5 images at 100% and highest quality. But the results were worth the wait, and with a quick crop in photoshop I've got a nice panorama of the view from my house. :) Downside is, it's 13 megabytes. :rolleyes: