PDA

View Full Version : Time-sensitive Q

Hoosier
07-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Help, pls! I just bought a (new) Nikon D80 and the Nikon 18-200 mm VF lens from Digicombos in Brooklyn for $1,599.99. It arrived today. When I ordered it, the customer service rep said it would be covered by the Nikon US warranty. However, I notice that the lens serial number does not begin with "US," which Ken Rockwell indicates it should if it's covered. (Apparently the camera serial numbers don't have to begin with 'US.') I called Nikon customer service and they won't decode serial numbers. They say I can send it to a Nikon service center, which obviously DOES decode serial numbers and can tell me if it's warrantied. Or I can send it back to the seller and go to an authorized dealer, which Digicombos is not. When I called Digicombos to ask what sort of warranty I have and whether it's backed by Nikon the customer service rep said I'm the first customer in his experience who's ever asked. He says THEY purchase from an authorized dealer...but I told him Nikon tells me warranties don't transfer. Digicombos offered to send me a one-year warranty (without charge) or return the camera/lens within 10 days. So what would you do?

XaiLo
07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Do you see a black w/yellow lettering that says sticker Nikon/USA on the lens? did you get any warranty information including the extended 5 year warranty for the lens? Did you recieve any warranty information at all? What type of packaging did the camera and lens come in?

Hoosier
07-06-2007, 10:20 AM
No Nikon/USA sticker on lens. No warranty info with either camera or lens. Packaging is the standard gold Nikon boxes. Local authorized Nikon dealer (who didn't know entirely why I was calling) says when you buy from an unauthorized dealer you might be getting used equipment...although it seems unlikely anybody would be selling used 18-200 mm Nikkor AF-S DX VR lens.

Esoterra
07-06-2007, 10:33 AM
I know it might be a pain in the arse, but I would send it back and get your monney back. Take your buisness to B&H or another reputable camera dealer where you will have peace of mind. If your worried about it now, think how much worse it will be 11 days later.

3 red flags that jump out at me:

1) the dealer doesnt have any specific information about the warranty and suggests your equipment might be used
2) No warranty card in the box
3) No Nikon Sticker on lens

"3 strikes...you're out"

XaiLo
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
I just called them and the rep told me there is a Nikon 3yr warranty on the lens and a 1yr warranty on the body. You may want to call them back and ask why you did not recieve any warranty information... which would be packaged with the camera and lens from Nikon. hth I'd see about getting your money back Nikon won't cover them without specific proper warranty documentation.

Hoosier
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanx guys for your advice.

Taking XaiLo's, I called Digicombos to ask more QQ. So far I've been on hold for 54 minutes and 31 seconds.

Since it's hard to get one of these 18-200 mm VR zooms, it's hard to send it back!

wannabe
07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I'd definitely send it back. That is too large of a purchase to risk not being covered. You may save a few bucks initially, but it could cost you a lot down the road.