PDA

View Full Version : What Settings Are Needed For Snow Shots Using Nikon D50

sofishan
07-05-2007, 09:24 PM
COULD ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE aperture SETTINGS TO BE USED FOR NIKON D50 for snow conditions and do I need any special care for the lens ?

coldrain
07-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Snow is very white, and the camera judges exposure for everything being a mid-tone. This will mean that the camera will make everything too dark, since it does not know snow is supposed to be very white and light.

So the only thing you have to do is watch the exposure, and compensate when necessary (choosing longer exposures than the camera thinks are necessary).

As for the lens, you do not have to do anything. If you are up in the mountains, a UV filter may help filter a bit of UV haze. And a polarized light filter (of the circular pol. type) may make the skies a richer blue, if it is sunny.

Oh, one other thing. With difficult exposures like this, using RAW can be very benificial.

erichlund
07-06-2007, 10:04 AM
COULD ANYONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE aperture SETTINGS TO BE USED FOR NIKON D50 for snow conditions and do I need any special care for the lens ?

There are a few things you can do here to give yourself a better chance at a good exposure.

First, you probably want to take the camera off of auto white balance and set it for the actual conditions (hopefully sunny). Otherwise, all that white is just going to mess with your white balance.

Second, set your mode to A (aperture priority) and set your aperture for the depth of field you want. Assuming you want from here to forever, you want to set a higher number, but you have to temper this with camera limitations. The camera will start to diffract above f11, so images will lose a little sharpness. But you will still gain depth of field. So above f11 you are trading sharpness for depth. You have to decide how much sharpness you are willing to give up for the particular scene. You might want to take several shots at each of the f-stops to see what you are comfortable with, since this is really a judgement call on your part.

Experiment with spot and center weighted metering off of a tree or trees to see what gives you the best exposure. If you meter off of mainly snow, you will always underexpose. Learn how to use exposure locking (pg 99 of your manual). That way, you can meter off of something, lock the exposure, then recompose for your actual shot.

Finally, even with best intentions, snow is so dominant and bright, that you will be real close to blowing your highlights and having white with no detail. To give yourself a better chance of getting the right exposure, learn how to use exposure compensation and bracketing. Bracketing is on pg 93 of your manual. The D50 is pretty limited in it's bracketing, but you can help it out by using +1 EV to start on your exposure compensation. If you then bracket by 1 stop per exposure, you will get a normal exposure, +1 and +2. As you get a better feel for how your camera reacts, you can adjust your starting point (EV) and bracketing range.

The information on using filters is also good, but if you stack filters, be aware that your lens may start to vignette at it's widest settings, especially if it is a DX lens. This will cause your corners to darken a bit. If you are shooting RAW and using Nikon Capture NX, you can correct this with vignette control in post processing. You can also correct it by not using the full wide angle of your lens.

sofishan
07-07-2007, 01:44 AM
thanks eric for your patience that was very helpful and i will try it out and keep u posted

cheers

and just one more thing when i got my nikon nx with my camera it doesnt work with my windows xp and tells me that its a expired version!!!how to go about with it?