PDA

View Full Version : Smallish photo bag for D80?

Mr. Magoo
07-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a smallish photo bag for a D80? I'm just looking for something to carry the body/lens and possibly a spare lens.

I picked up the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home. I like the look (doesn't screen out I'm a camera bag) and construction of the bag, but in practice, it is harder to get the camera in and out of the bag quickly/safely than I would like.
________
Sdr 200 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_SDR_200)

tensixteen64
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
I have two bags.

The Lowepro EX 160 from Best Buy when I purchased the camera, so I would have something to carry it in for the time being. And I have a Lowepro CompuDaypack Camera Bag in Burnt Orange. They are clearing them out on Amazon and have them much cheaper than what I spent on the new one a few weeks ago.

I used the backpack to take some photos in DC last month and I used the little EX 160 to take photos at a party. Both are fine if you have a camera and only one lens. I think I have to get a bigger one now that I have another lens on the way.

The one thing I don't really like about the backpack is that the camera sits on the bottom of the pack vs. in the middle. I wish I had looked harder for a backpack before buying it. It's a great pack though for day trips around the city. I just keep my camera on my neck and try to remember to put the bag down gently when I do take it off.

RichNY
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
The Domke F-3x would be a perfect sized bag and is every bit as stealth as the Crumpler.

swgod98
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
I have a couple packs, but one I bought for unique purposes is from Tamrac - Express 5:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/465622-REG/Tamrac_353501_3535_Express_5_Bag.html

It holds the camera w/ standard lens, along with another lens and/or flash. I typically have my D80 w/ the Sigma 18-50 along with the 50mm 1.4 and SB-800. It all fits just right, although when I had it on my shoulder my friend called it my man-purse :eek:

Make sure you sling it over your neck (probably designed for this anyway!) and you're good to go :)

Edit: er...I just looked at the crumpler 4 and it looks pretty much the same as the Express 5. So, maybe that's not a good choice considering your ease of use concern.

Alex D80
07-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Anyone have recommendations for a smallish photo bag for a D80? I'm just looking for something to carry the body/lens and possibly a spare lens.

I picked up the Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home. I like the look (doesn't screen out I'm a camera bag) and construction of the bag, but in practice, it is harder to get the camera in and out of the bag quickly/safely than I would like.

I use a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW for my D80 with 18-135 lens, 50mm lens, flash, can hold my extra battery, some cables and couple of other nick-nacks that I carry around. It is very confortable and yes, I would buy it again if it broke, in fact, I might buy the 200 AW. The bag comes with a rain-coat to put around the bag and a lens clean cloth. Check it out at http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Bags/All_Weather_Cover/SlingShot_100_AW.aspx

I paid $59 at a local store.

Good luck

LR Max
07-05-2007, 08:39 PM
I have two bags now (just picked one up like, a week ago). My work bag is setup to carry my D70s with 18-200VR lense attached and a single SB-800 with dome diffuser attached. I use a Lowepro Nova 2 AW. Its a great bag and keeps my camera gear in excellent condition, even though the bag is always put through hell. I also have it setup to easily carry a 50mm lense, but I never carry that lense when I go out.

Its a good, small bag.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/238/516097990_4f25a18446.jpg

K1W1
07-06-2007, 02:26 AM
Go for the 5 Miilion Dollar home. It's the next size up and will fit a camera with lens attached plus up to two extra lenses or one lens and a flash or one lens, wallet, iPod and other junk.

Rooz
07-06-2007, 04:23 AM
I use a Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW for my D80 with 18-135 lens, 50mm lens, flash, can hold my extra battery, some cables and couple of other nick-nacks that I carry around. It is very confortable and yes, I would buy it again if it broke, in fact, I might buy the 200 AW. The bag comes with a rain-coat to put around the bag and a lens clean cloth. Check it out at http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Bags/All_Weather_Cover/SlingShot_100_AW.aspx

I paid $59 at a local store.

Good luck

i have the same one and i love it.

philwojo
07-06-2007, 06:30 AM
I have the 200 and love it, took it on a trip to Europe (cruise in the Med) last November and it was great. I have the D50 with the kit lens and borrowed at the time a friends older 70-210mm zoom from his old film Nikon. I also had my battery charger and cleaning stuff and the video cable in the bag. Then as we would go out walking around for the day we would put other stuff in there, like paper, pens, candy bars (in the pockets not near camera), hand wipes, etc. Plenty of room and I did get to use the rain flap 1 time in a really light mist, but it worked great. It is the only bag I currently have as I don't need any more right now.

I currently have the D50 with the kit lens and my Nikon 70-300mm VR lens in it and I can even put in the D50 with the 300mm mounted on it, although that does bulge the bag slightly but it does still fit in.

Phil

Alex D80
07-09-2007, 07:34 AM
i have the same one and i love it.

I have thought about the Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW. Now that I purchased a Gary Fong diffuser, I don't have a place to carry it.

ryan112ryan
07-09-2007, 08:33 AM
I have a Sling shot 200 and a Nova 4 both really good bags. the smallest bag your going to be able to get your setup in is a Lowe Pro Rezo 160 check it out

I want to sell / trade my Nova 4 and Slingshot because Ive outgrew them. The nova 4 is a week old and the slingshot is older but in very good condition Ryan112ryan[at]yahoo{dot}com if your interested