PDA

View Full Version : Battery life of you Nikon D80? Mine seems to drain fairly quickly

herc182
07-05-2007, 08:25 AM
Dear all,

Started a discussion in:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32472&page=2

about it.

"I seem to go through the batteries quite quickly. I took about 600 odd photos in Rome, and went through two batteries. One nikon genuine and one off ebay. However, i do change settings very regularly (i.e. aperture obviously, white balance, focus points, metering, iso,) which i guess must drain battery quicker. My brother took about a third of the photos and never changes settings (apart from aperture) and his battery barely moved off full (canon 5D)."

Just wondering howmany pics you seem to get out of your batteries and what settings you are changing. WOndering if there is something fundamental that i am doing that is sapping the juice. is there one function over another that used most battery life.

tcadwell pointed out taht he shoots in raw and that "might" help preserve juice (by not doing any processing)?

any thoughts welcome...

erichlund
07-05-2007, 08:47 AM
While the D80 doesn't have the battery life of the D70, it still had a reputation for pretty decent battery life. Your numbers seem low, more like I get out of my D200. Of course, if you're reviewing every image as you take them, that will eat away at the battery very quickly. Those high resolution screens they stick on the back of the camera are battery hogs.

herc182
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
Well i may review it for 3 secs to see it looks half decent (but generally thinking about it i will review each shot). It reviews automatically. Does the highlight function drain power (when it flashes?)

tcadwall
07-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Well, reviewing your images is one of the coolest things about digital photography!

I typically have it set to show the histogram. If the histogram shows blown highlights, and the scene has something that I am ok with having blown highlights, then I will just flip to the highlight view to ensure what is blown.

It will be interesting to hear what other D80 users get from batteries... While it is newer technology than my D70s, and you normally expect better battery performance from newer technology, there are still major factors to consider... Like as mentioned, the higher res screen, and the larger images that are being processed, as well as small differences with the few other bells and whistles that have been added to the D70s feature-list.

But honestly, I have to say that a battery will last me a heck of a long time. I routinely wait until I have taken hundreds of images on a battery before I stick my spare battery on the charger to be ready when needed.

herc182
07-05-2007, 09:51 AM
a discussion on this elsewhere.

I think the consensus (amongst the banter) is that reviewing photos drains battery a lot.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=220767

another discussion here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=23797192

Sambru
07-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I get about 200 pictures to a charge on both my batteries, I do review my shots, I am new to this so I need to see, what I have done. I did however shut off the auto image review, maybe this will help the battery life, I suspect it will be the same as the D200.

Alex D80
07-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Just wondering howmany pics you seem to get out of your batteries and what settings you are changing. WOndering if there is something fundamental that i am doing that is sapping the juice. is there one function over another that used most battery life.

I am taking between 400-500. I do have a secondary battery. I am previewing just about everything. And I do mess with the settings a lot, since I am still learning how to use it. I have had my D80 for just over a month now.

Rooz
07-06-2007, 07:31 AM
200 shots !!! :eek::eek::eek: no way...thats a faulty battery for sure.

if i don't download onto PC continuously in between i will get 600 shots plus easily.

the 2 things that kill battery life:
downloading pics via USB camera plug into PC.
long and repetitive LCD previews.

i have my preview turned onto 3 secs to histogram. i generally have a quick look at histogram and maybe flick back to framing for a second. every now and then i may zoom into an image aswell to check for nosie problems if shooting at high iso's. i;m certainly not "careful" with battery.

i have a full charge at the moment so i'll let you know how many shots i get....in a couple of months. :o:D

herc182
07-06-2007, 07:44 AM
Will set it to 3 secs with histogram....

200 shots is very low, must be spending a lot of time reviewing those photos....what are they of ;)

Might be a good excuse to get a battery pack (From ebay :rolleyes:)

Kellie
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Holy cow! I took well over 600 shots on vacation and came home with the battery still showing 3 bars and I mess around with settings a lot between shots. I use the LCD review a ton. I was showing everyone the pictures I took and zooming in on many of them. I also only turn the camera off if I am putting it away. I think the issue might be downloading via USB. I always take out my SD card and plug it directly into the laptop or printer if I am using the desktop. I would suggest getting a card reader.

herc182
07-06-2007, 08:39 AM
:mad:

WHAT?! I was happy the issue was the LCD. What the hell is the problem then? You dont have a battery pack by any chance :)

Type of SD card? There must be one setting or two that cains the power

tcadwall
07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
herc did I miss it or did you not specify whether you are downloading images to computer through usb or popping the card out into a reader. Not sure why I didn't think of that, but that will kill the battery really fast for some reason. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but it does.

Sambru
07-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I bought a 2nd Nikon Battery, same story 200-230 max. I don't fool around too much with the LCD screens, it is a digital and I do look at the images for about 3 seconds or so. I do however transfer via cable to my computer, I don't have a card reader yet.

tcadwall
07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
As mentioned, for under $20 you can get a reader.... and it will probably double your shots per charge. IOW, it might actually save you a battery over the long haul (they do only last so many charges). Just remember not all readers are equal, and there are websites out there that will rank them. For me - I haven't found anything faster than the SanDisk reader that I use.

Rooz
07-06-2007, 09:01 PM
I bought a 2nd Nikon Battery, same story 200-230 max. I don't fool around too much with the LCD screens, it is a digital and I do look at the images for about 3 seconds or so. I do however transfer via cable to my computer, I don't have a card reader yet.

this is a little strange to me. :confused: you must download to PC a heck of alot or leave the cam plugged into the PC after the download for a long time. even if you aren;t downloading, just by leaving it on and plugged in drains battery. it is not normal for such little battery life, 400 or so i can understand i suppose but 200 ? seems odd.

tcadwall
07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
just by leaving it on and plugged in drains battery.
Thanks for bringing that up... I now remember having had this discussion before, and I KNOW it makes no sense that this happens... It has been confirmed by others before, so if this is the case (leaving it plugged in to computer), it will really help to be mindful of this, and even better use a card reader.

--- Heck Nikon should add a feature to the cameras that having them plugged into a computer should CHARGE the battery (oops that could cause problems with heat I would imagine - they add that feature, and next thing you know there are weird purple smears all across long exposure images) Oh well, it really shouldn't drain battery but it does

Sambru
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys:) I will go out and buy a card reader and let you know what happens.

K1W1
07-06-2007, 11:08 PM
Thanks for bringing that up... I now remember having had this discussion before, and I KNOW it makes no sense that this happens... It has been confirmed by others before, so if this is the case (leaving it plugged in to computer), it will really help to be mindful of this, and even better use a card reader.

It makes perfect sense.
When the camera is plugged into the USB and turned on it does not go to sleep but stays fully active the whole time hence the degraded battery life.
When the camera is turned on and asleep it only actually uses marginally more power than if it were turned off (when they are off they are not actually off but being powered by their own internal non user changeable battery).
LiION batteries have a life expectancy of 1000 charge/drain cycles as a rule of thumb. A charge/drain cycle is when the battery goes from fully charged to fully drained to fully charged. Topping up the charge regularly rather than draining the battery completely does not count as a full cycle and will promote longer battery life but don't worry about it to much. It's unlikely that a Nikon consumer DSLR will last 6000,000 shutter releases anyway (1000 x 600 shots per charge) so you are more than likely going to need a new body before you need a new battery.

Other things to check that affect how long you get on a battery charge.
1. What is your monitor off setting set to? The longer it is the quicker the battery will drain the default is usually far longer than you require and can be cut down.
2. What is your Meter Off setting set to? The longer it is the longer the camera will stay active. If you have your meter off set to something silly like 30 minutes then all you are doing is paying power bills to recharge the battery all the time.

longroad
07-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I was out overnight for a weekend with no second battery. Used it for a full day at the zoo then again for about 2 hours the next morning. I didnt charge it the whole time i was there.
I took only around 550 photos but still had 2 bars left i think.
I did turn off image review at that time and i think that helped alot.

tcadwall
07-07-2007, 06:59 AM
Is STILL does not make sense. That might be what is happening, but it doesn't make sense because there is no good reason that the camera must be fully awake. A card reader doesn't even HAVE a battery. If the argument is that the camera is in a remote control state, then that is a little crazy too. There is no reason that the camera should be designed that way. It should be able to wake up if the computer is trying to take control just like it wakes up when you half-depress the shutter-release or any other button for that matter.

As far as the battery life, I apologize for not realizing the expected lifespan. However I have had my share of LiIon batteries in other devices that have not made anywhere near 1000 charge cycles. If you are getting 200 shots per charge rather than 600 - and consider that theory often errs on the side of marketing - you may wear out a battery at that rate while you could triple its by spending < $20 and saving time with a reader to boot. Readers are faster - but then again a a D70s is what I am used to... They transfer SLOWLY.

I really can't believe that I am arguing something this silly.

herc182
07-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Hey people....

No i dont transfer photos via usb. I use a memory card reader.

The meter off thing is interesting. Maybe i will look at that too.

Will have to do a test, but there is nothing that i can imagine photographing enough to make it a valid test :)

Answer Softly
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
I get around 600-700 pics per charge...how many times are you using the flash??? That too can drain the batteries.

Lauren
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nikon D80