PDA

View Full Version : fireworks

Corwyn
07-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Well, I was going to try and take some pics tonight but it rained around here. So I didn't bring out the camera.

I will be taking a trip to Niagara Falls, and would like to take some pics of the lights and the fireworks show.

I have a D40, 18-55 and a 55-200mm. What lens and technigues do you suggest for good pics of fireworks?

Corwyn

aparmley
07-04-2007, 10:05 PM
Well, I was going to try and take some pics tonight but it rained around here. So I didn't bring out the camera.

I will be taking a trip to Niagara Falls, and would like to take some pics of the lights and the fireworks show.

I have a D40, 18-55 and a 55-200mm. What lens and technigues do you suggest for good pics of fireworks?

Corwyn

Most likely the 18-55 is going to the lens you'll want - depending on your distance and the size of the display adjust your zoom to get it all in there. I suggest a remote shutter cable, ISO 100, 2-3 second exposure around F8 as a good place to start. Adjust ISO if the displays are not bright enough and adjust the SS for different effects - auto focus on the first explosion, then flip the focus mode into manual and forget about it. Tip: Once you have a good SS and ISO set for a proper exposure of the displays remember, once the finale starts, back off your settings about 2 stops because the finale is a lot brighter than the regular stuff - I'd try kicking it down to like 1/10 second and turn the drive on (rapid fire).

fionndruinne
07-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Surprisingly enough (being my first time and all) some of my fireworks photos turned out pretty decent. The D40's lowest ISO is 200, so it takes some alteration of the recommended aperture/shutter. I got good results with f/16 & 10 seconds (I like longer exposures), and even f/22 & 30 seconds for a few of them.

I'll post a few when I get some more time online! Hope you got a few good ones, Corwyn.