PDA

View Full Version : Some D40 questions

A.meiring
07-03-2007, 03:19 PM
hey people..

Im looking to get a d40 and just need to find out a few things. I heard something about certain lenses dont work, something to do with the focusing of the camera. I need to know if the sigma 70-300 apo will work on the d40, and also will that lens work on a nikon F75 film (if you know)

also, is there any negative things about the d40 that i should know about..

ta :rolleyes:

erichlund
07-03-2007, 04:04 PM
hey people..

Im looking to get a d40 and just need to find out a few things. I heard something about certain lenses dont work, something to do with the focusing of the camera. I need to know if the sigma 70-300 apo will work on the d40, and also will that lens work on a nikon F75 film (if you know)

Well, the lenses still work. However, Autofocus lenses that are not AF-S compatible do not autofocus. You must focus them manually. The lenses that do autofocus are Nikkor AF-S lenses and Sigma HSM lenses. Nikkor AF and AFD and all other autofocus lenses do not autofocus on the D40. This is because Nikon did not put a focus motor in the D40, so lenses that do not have their own focus motor will not autofocus.

The next obvious question is... "Why did Nikon leave out the motor???" (along with gnashing of teeth). Well, pick up the camera and notice how small it is. I imagine that if you could tell Nikon how to fit a motor in there (at the same weight), they would pay you lots of money and have to come up with another fancy subscript for say a D40z.

I don't know diddly about an F75. I was a Canon user during my film days. You can use many f-mount AI and AI-S lenses with the D40, but you will have to have a separate meter or use a general rule of thumb like sunny 16. Because these lenses are designed for manual focus only, the fact that they will not autofocus is not an issue.

There are lots of people "getting by" with the lenses available for the D40. How many, I can't say, but Nikon is selling them like hotcakes. If you want a more capable Nikon, get the D80. It has a focus motor, and lots of other things besides.

The Sigma 70-300 APO is a nice lens, but it is not HSM, so it will not autofocus on the D40. The Nikkor 70-300 VR is more expensive, but it is AF-S so it will autofocus on the D40.

jcon
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
hey people..

If I may ask a dumb question... in your sig it states you have a D70 and 17-55 F2.8. Why would you want a D40?

If you're in the market for the 70-300 range, get the Nikon 70-300VR!

500mL
07-03-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm contemplating of getting a D40 as well. I've read so much about how it is a good camera for entry-level dSLR users (mainly from p&s to dSLR). I now use a Canon S2 IS, but I'd like to learn a lot more. Would you recommend getting one now or just hold off until I feel I am ready? In my opinion, I would learn in a more efficient way if I have the camera, isn't it? :confused:

-500mL-

Rooz
07-03-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm contemplating of getting a D40 as well. I've read so much about how it is a good camera for entry-level dSLR users (mainly from p&s to dSLR). I now use a Canon S2 IS, but I'd like to learn a lot more. Would you recommend getting one now or just hold off until I feel I am ready? In my opinion, I would learn in a more efficient way if I have the camera, isn't it? :confused:

-500mL-

you won;t ever be ready until you have one. you can read all about it but until you start experimenting with a dslr you won;t learn much imo.

would be a good idea to talk with Xailo who i think upgraded to a d40 from S2 or S3. he will be in best position to talk to you about the learning curve from that model camera.

r3g
07-03-2007, 08:05 PM
I agree with Rooz. Reading helps but its no substitute for experience. I started doing dslr research about a month in advance of me getting my camera and it wasnt until i took it out of the box that i felt i could hand it.

500mL
07-03-2007, 08:24 PM
I agree with Rooz. Reading helps but its no substitute for experience. I started doing dslr research about a month in advance of me getting my camera and it wasnt until i took it out of the box that i felt i could hand it.

Rooz & r3g,

Thanks for the replies. That basically helped out a lot of my debate whether to delay or get the D40. Now my only question is what's the difference between the D40 and D40x besides the big gap of megapixels. I can't tell from the reviews what has changed from the previous D40 :confused:

-500mL-

XaiLo
07-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Not much, basically 10mp vs 6mp take the extra $200 and put it towards a 55-200mm VR. sent you a PM on the S3 vs D40 stuff.

r3g
07-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Share with all of us XaiLo, im kinda curious :)

Rooz
07-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Rooz & r3g,

Thanks for the replies. That basically helped out a lot of my debate whether to delay or get the D40. Now my only question is what's the difference between the D40 and D40x besides the big gap of megapixels. I can't tell from the reviews what has changed from the previous D40 :confused:

-500mL-

agree with xailo here, the d40x is simply a d40 with extra megapixels and imo defeats the purpose of a d40 entirely which is to provide a high quality dslr at a bargain price. drop the cash on the 55-200VR or towards a 70-300VR and you'll never look back. or, if you have the money go for a d80.

as for the delay there's nothing really to wait for. the next gen dslr's from nikon and canon are going to be in a much higher price bracket. ie: 40d, d300, d3 etc

coldrain
07-04-2007, 03:24 AM

-500mL-
You would be better of looking at the Canon XTi or even XT.
They are more feature complete (the D40 lacks a lot of features), and they do not have that missing AF motor problem either.
Also, they do come with good RAW convertor, the D40 does not (standard).
Also an XTi will be familiar to you in operation, since you have an S2 IS.

All in all, an XTi is a better package...

coldrain
07-04-2007, 03:34 AM
hey people..

Nikon has put motors in their DSLRs to drive the AF in lenses. Some lenses have a motor themselves. With the D40(X) they left out that motor, meaning most 3rd party lenses and most Nikon primes can not auto focus on a D40(X).

The 70-300 apo will NOT work on the D40 because of that missing AF motor.
It will however work on a D70(s), D80, D50. So, you should look at getting a D50 or D80 instead.
The 70-300 APO will work fine on a Nikon F75.

Other negatives about the D40:
It is Nikon's most cut down DSLR ever... it misses a lot of features.
It does not even have a direct ISO and WB button, why is a mystery... it means you will have to go through the menus to change these rather important settings, all the time. It only has a 3point AF system, the D50 has a 5 point AF system, the D80 an 11 point system. This can be a big deal, especially when tracking moving subjects.

The D40 does not have mirror lock up (entry level DSLRs of other manufactures all have that), the D80 offers a semi-mirror lock up function at least.
The D40 does not have a depth of field checking button, this can be an issue for certain photographers.
It does not offer an exposure bracketing feature.

All in all, a D50 seems to be a better idea, especially in regards to your SIgma 70-300 APO question.

fionndruinne
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
It does not even have a direct ISO and WB button, why is a mystery...

Coldrain, if I hear this out of you one more time, I am going to scream. There's an easy reason for it - the D40 is small, and more buttons would equal clutter (like the XTi), and less easy manageability. The D40 has a programmable button, which you can set for ISO or WB, plus other options. I usually have mine set for ISO, and use it a lot, but since I'm planning on trying for some fireworks photos tonight, I changed it to self-timer (since I don't have a remote control, this will take care of camera shake from pressing the shutter button). It took me all of five seconds to find the menu and change the button from ISO to self-timer.

Coldrain simply cannot live with the concept of the D40 - even though it is clear that Nikon (and Sigma) are moving further toward AF-S and HSM lenses. He cannot accept that the D40 is $200 cheaper than the XTi, or that it is as popular as it is. But, of course, there's plenty of reason for this popularity. In image quality for the price range, especially at high ISOs, the D40 can't be beat.

... except, of course of course, if you have a collection of old non-AF-S lenses, or you want to shoot more or less strictly prime.

Although many have proven that manually focusing an inexpensive 50mm prime is not quite worth crying over.

XaiLo
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Coldrain you do realize this is the Nikon section:confused: and unlike you there are some over in the Canon camp who are not particuarly happy with the XT/XTI that you keep hyping up I'm quite curious as to the why you seem incapable or unwilling to share those negatives as you are to readily discuss the negatives of a camera you don't even happen to own. Oh I get it the XT/XTI is the perfect camera for anyone who wants a D40:rolleyes: :eek: Not!!!

coldrain
07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Coldrain, if I hear this out of you one more time, I am going to scream. There's an easy reason for it - the D40 is small, and more buttons would equal clutter (like the XTi), and less easy manageability. The D40 has a programmable button, which you can set for ISO or WB, plus other options. I usually have mine set for ISO, and use it a lot, but since I'm planning on trying for some fireworks photos tonight, I changed it to self-timer (since I don't have a remote control, this will take care of camera shake from pressing the shutter button). It took me all of five seconds to find the menu and change the button from ISO to self-timer.

Luckily for new posters, I do not get tired of informing them. Someone asked about downsides, I gave them.

And uhmmm... have you ever looked at an XTi? Then you would know that WB and ISO are situated on the directional buttons, like most other cameras... Even the D80 has the ISO and WB settings on buttons that also have another function. The only reason the D40 does not, is to differentiate it from its more expensive sibling.
I always change WB and ISO according to the conditions. You can not put it all on a "function button". You can defend it all you want, it is cumbersome.

It takes me half a second to press the button than changes the shooting mode from single shot, to self timer, to continuous shooting.
A shame you need 5 seconds to get the camera off self timer... imagine how many missed shots that can mean.

Coldrain simply cannot live with the concept of the D40 - even though it is clear that Nikon (and Sigma) are moving further toward AF-S and HSM lenses. He cannot accept that the D40 is $200 cheaper than the XTi, or that it is as popular as it is. But, of course, there's plenty of reason for this popularity. In image quality for the price range, especially at high ISOs, the D40 can't be beat.
... except, of course of course, if you have a collection of old non-AF-S lenses, or you want to shoot more or less strictly prime.

The D40 is not cheaper than the XT, the D40X is not cheaper than the D40X.
The D40 is not cheaper than the K100D. The D40 is not better with noise than the K100D. Nor than the XT or XTi. It is however softer than those at higher ISO, due to more noise reduction.

And you KNOW you are bullshitting here, you know what lenses are all either much more expensive, or unavailable, for a D40. I listed the lenses often anough, and they all are of the most used type (macro lenses, portrait primes, portrait zooms, standard zooms).

Why can't you accept that it is important to inform people? Why do you make defending the D40, because it is the camera you bought, into this silly flaming war?

XaiLo
07-04-2007, 05:39 PM
Coldrain you do realize this is the Nikon section:confused: and unlike you there are some over in the Canon camp who are not particuarly happy with the XT/XTI that you keep hyping up I'm quite curious as to the why you seem incapable or unwilling to share those negatives as you are to readily discuss the negatives of a camera you don't even happen to own. Oh I get it the XT/XTI is the perfect camera for anyone who wants a D40:rolleyes: :eek: Not!!!

Image quality, white balance, ISO, shooting mode, focus mode,AF-area mode, metering, flash comp, exposure comp, and flash mode all can be changed without having to access the menu button in a nice convenient interface, imagine that. I guess you have to actually own the camera to appreciate that little tid bit.:confused:

Although many have proven that manually focusing an inexpensive 50mm prime is not quite worth crying over.

Flame or Reality? :confused:

Why can't you accept that it is important to inform people?

Why? Why can't you except the fact that no one is obliged to agree with your biased point of view?

Why do you make defending the D40, because it is the camera you bought, into this silly flaming war?

Now isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? :confused: I guess you don't own an XT/XTI that you keep on raving about in a Nikon section in a Nikon thread... Ooooops I'm sorry your sig says you do :confused: :confused: :confused: and you have the nerve to tell someone they can't share their opinion about a camera they actually own and at every opportunity you bash. It's not like all Nikonians luv the D40. U2 Fun Knee :confused: I'm going to check the Canon DSLR section and see how many Nokonians run over there like a little oops sorry lost my head there for a second, and spouted off how much the XT sucked in comparison to the D50??? And your confused why someone would defend a personal decision feigning ignorance is really unbecoming of someone who comes accross as the all knowing camera "GOD"!!!

Rooz
07-05-2007, 12:53 AM
whats funny is that you don't see any d40 owners or independant reviewers complaining about the camera performance. i haven;t read a single bad review of it yet, in fact quite the opposite. the only people that whinge about it are non-d40 owners. read into that what you will...

fionndruinne
07-05-2007, 01:03 AM
Yep, I'm a flamer, coldrain. Since I never can quite let your anti-D40 rants go by without answering them just a little (foolishness on my part, no doubt, but talk is free). Since I'm in the Nikon forum and all... since I just don't personally like the XTi all that much (but have used it, probably taken almost a hundred shots with it... have you deigned to touch a D40?), and, of course, since I dare to disagree with the camera god.

C'mon over to the Nikon camp... our gods demand no human sacrifices. You know you want to.

I'm not emotionally invested here, just so you know - I'm not heated, not going to start spitting sparks, not to worry. Arguing is something some do better than others, I do it well (and almost as a hobby!). You're kind of funny, coldrain, I enjoy your verbal skills (although same ol' subject matter every time), and we all know you're a more than decent photographer, but you seem intent on making something true by dint of pure insistence. It ain't good policy.

r3g
07-05-2007, 01:06 AM
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5513/popcornnb3.gif

fionndruinne
07-05-2007, 01:09 AM
*chuckles*

Rooz
07-05-2007, 01:13 AM
http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/5513/popcornnb3.gif

sorry to detract from the conversation...but how did you put that funny lookin fella in your post ?? :confused:

coldrain
07-05-2007, 04:14 AM
whats funny is that you don't see any d40 owners or independant reviewers complaining about the camera performance. i haven;t read a single bad review of it yet, in fact quite the opposite. the only people that whinge about it are non-d40 owners. read into that what you will...
What are you talking about Rooz. It annoys me when you start to side with the flamers.
You yourself know that the D40 has downsides. That it, like other DSLRs, can be used to make good photos, has never been put into doubt.
You yourself often point out the downsides of a D40 or D40X. You yourself just now adviced to go for a D80 instead of a D40X, for the exact same reasons I have given here.

Someone asked for downsides, I have given very objective and very verifiable downsides for the D40 and D40X. And they DO matter.
That they do not matter to foin. and that other person, that is FINE.
And it is for the prospective DSLR buyer upto themselves to decide if those downsides matter to them. But they do have to be correctly informed, and that is what I do.
It is fine to point out mistakes, if I make them. But as far as I know, there are no mistakes in my earlier posts in this thread.
So... if you do see a mistake, then just point that out in a normal manner. And if you do have a different opinion, like whether or not a D40 is better in higher ISO than other cameras, where I say it has the same performance, then again have a normal discussion about that.

The flaming has to stop, though.

Rooz
07-05-2007, 04:52 AM
What are you talking about Rooz. It annoys me when you start to side with the flamers.
You yourself know that the D40 has downsides. That it, like other DSLRs, can be used to make good photos, has never been put into doubt.
You yourself often point out the downsides of a D40 or D40X. You yourself just now adviced to go for a D80 instead of a D40X, for the exact same reasons I have given here.

Someone asked for downsides, I have given very objective and very verifiable downsides for the D40 and D40X. And they DO matter.
That they do not matter to foin. and that other person, that is FINE.
And it is for the prospective DSLR buyer upto themselves to decide if those downsides matter to them. But they do have to be correctly informed, and that is what I do.
It is fine to point out mistakes, if I make them. But as far as I know, there are no mistakes in my earlier posts. So... if you do see a mistake, then just point that out in a normal manner. And if you do have a different opinion, like whether or not a D40 is better in higher ISO than other cameras, where I say it has the same performance, then again have a normal discussion about that.

The flaming has to stop, though.

lol no need o get your knickers in a knot mate. :p i'm just stating my opinion and a couple of "real world - not in MTF chart" facts.

fact 1: d40 owners seem to be a pretty happy bunch with their choice.
fact 2: i haven't seen a bad review of the d40 by anyone.

i'll add another fact here while i'm at it...the images they are getting out of it are outstanding. so it can;t be all that bad really can it ? i mean truly it simply CAN"T be all bad.

the d40x is a different animal to a d40 becasue of price. i can see the value and a d40, i really can. but i can;t see the value of a 40x. the 40x sits in between the d40 and d80 and imo that is not a sensible place to be and i can;t personally see the logic in it. either you have the budget to get a d80 or save your cash for glass and go for a d40. why go a d40x just cos of MP but carry over the same shortcomings of a d40 and pay more money ? i don;t get that.

i completely recognise the downsides of a d40 but for alot of people the downside just isn't important to them. there are a bunch of people who just use their kit lens', add a telephoto and thats pretty much it, they're happy. that goes for ANY consumer dslr mind you, not just the d40. i bet that 50% of people that buy a dslr never change their lens and another 30% only change it for a telephoto which is where the 70-300 and 55-200VR lens' fit in so perfectly.

i really don't know what the iso performance is like from a technical point of view compared to other models. i've never looked at the charts. i doubt you've made "mistakes" per se, you;re too well read and knowledgable in cams in general to make them but i do think you are missing the point of this camera and by missing the point i think you are misrepresenting how GOOD its performance is.

what i HAVE seen though is photos from fion and xailo in particualr at high iso's that are outstanding. i've seen cracking sports shots from reg on a 55-200mmVR lens indoors at only 2.5fps that are brilliant. lately there have been a bunch of new d40 users posting pics literally the day after they buy the thing and the photos are great and they are smiling...thats what it's all about isn;t it ?

have you ever handled one btw ? ever seen the menu set up and the feel of it ? it is wonderful to hold and use. truly. the menus are fantastic, the tips on the LCD you get are perfect for beginners. it's ergonomic genius that they can make a dslr so small feel so good to hold. it also very well built when you hold it...sure its plastic but its a nice feeling plastic lol something canon could not get right with the rebel series thats for sure.

the major shortcoming of the lack of AF motor is not something i consider to be as crippling as you do. i will end up with a d40 most likely at the end of the year becasue my wife wants to get more into photography but she hates the d80 with a passion, she won;t even hold the bloody thing cos of it's size and weight and she loves the d40's feel and size.

imo the lack of 2 command dials and a seperate LCD screen is far more limiting but guess what...the xti doesn;t have those. if the xti had better ergnomics, was better built, had 2 LCD screens and 2 command dials i would have been an owner and carried over all of my old canon film lens'.

the difference between you and i though is that i can recognise that to many people those features aren't important. they are important to ME which is why i opted for a d80 but to some people they simply aren't a big deal. you are most liekly the most technically proficient poster on this board and by some distance but sometimes you go overboard on a canon crusade and can;t see that people make their decisions based on many factors which may or may not be very important to you. that doesn;t mean their idiots it just means that they are happy with their choice warts and all.

coldrain
07-05-2007, 07:39 AM
Rooz, all you write is ok.
But... this was NEVER about a D40 owner liking his or her camera. That is what fion. and that other person are making it into.

Just read the thread, the OP asked what the downsides are of a D40.
Simple.

This thread is not for, nor about, fion. and the other person.
So, they do need to know, especially when they ASK for info, what it means, to not have that motor, that it will be more expensive if you want more than kit-lens optics.

And it IS important to know what features are missing. And if someone does not know what the features are for, why they exist, they can actually ask what they are about. And then they can decide IF it is an issue for them or not.
But for that someone DOES have to have told/explained that.

So, I donot want to be flamed like again happens in this thread. the only reason I addressed the above post to you is because I do respect you most of the time, and you do have the ability to place things in perspective.

erichlund
07-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Really...the whole point of the thread was whether certain lenses would work with the D40 and an N75. Since that was answered mostly in the first response to this thread, the rest is not as relevant.

The only value you added to the original question was to answer that the 70-300 APO will work on an N75. However, you did get something in that same post wrong. You said it will not work on a D40. It will work but it will not autofocus. These are not, technically, the same thing.

Frankly, nobody asked if the Canon cameras were a better solution. Yet you felt compelled to tell us just that. In that post, you didn't even bother to answer the OPs original question.

One thing you don't seem to get is that ergonomics IS an important feature of a camera. Every time I pick up one of the Canon dSLRs, I can't wait to put it down. I was in a camera store just the other day, and a guy was shopping cameras. He said he had tried the Canon's, but just didn't like the feel. This is a common occurance. It sells a lot of Nikon cameras.

Nobody here is hiding the fact that Nikon left the motor out of the D40 and that that causes an issue with autofocus. But, neither are we pitchmen for the Canon empire. For most users, the things Nikon left out of the D40 just don't matter. They matter to me, but if you look below, you don't see a D40. However, if my wife were suddenly to take an interest in using a dSLR (she's not, I asked), I believe the D40 would be the camera she would want. It would be the best fit for the type of photos she would like to take.

r3g
07-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Wow it only takes me 3 or less seconds to change ISO and WB. :p lol

XaiLo
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
That other person really has no problem with someone voiceing their opinion. But as I have said before fiegning ignorance is really unbecoming on your part. Niether the OP or 500ml asked for alternatives to the D40 and the OP has a preexisting investment in Nikon. 500ml question had nothing to do with camera selection at all, yet his question was met with that all to popular in this section stick with Canon mantra.

Going on a global campaign promote Canon is all good, but doing under the guise of helping someone is somewhat duplicitous and self serving. With the fevor that you complain and whine about the D40 all for the sake of edification, yet you are pompously promoting the XT/XTi as being faultless and without issue then expect no one to challenge you on your bias, please get real.

You frequently pull out a list of lenses that the D40 supposedly will not work with. I can pull out an equally impressive list of lenses Canon can not work with. Primes are not for everyone and not everyone wants or needs primes. How many of those lenses does the average entry level DSLR owner plan on actually purchasing while what expousing maybe semi-factual how relavent is it to the D40s target audience. How many P&S inquieries do you run out and tell them not to buy that P&S because they won't be able to use a prime. Clearly this is the same market Nikon wants and is getting with the D40. It should also be apparent to someone as astute as yourself, that Nikon is moving in a new direction with the D40. They are supporting it with some rather credible lenses in relation to it's target audience.

I've stated from the begining I purchased the D40 to replace my S3, and to that end it is superb. And I am no way confused about it's capabilities. Going back to the car analogy not everyone needs a fully loaded car, when its all said and done it will get you where you want to go. Dealing with the S3 meant a lot of compromises but it's still a fun little camera for what it is, but 95% of the time since I got the D40, it's the D40 that goes with me and that says a lot for the D40.

DCRP Review: Nikon D40
by Jeff Keller, DCRP Founder/Editor

What I liked:

Excellent photo quality; vivid colors and very low noise -- though see issues below
Well built for its price
Robust performance
Large, bright, and sharp 2.5" LCD
Shooting data well presented on the main LCD; settings can quickly be changed from the info screens
Full manual controls
Customizable menus and button
Useful features for beginners like D-Lighting, redeye removal, assist images, help system
AF-assist lamp
Redeye not a problem
Above average battery life
USB 2.0 High Speed support
What I didn't care for:

Purple fringing with kit lens; occasional blown highlights
Limited selection of AF-S lenses means that many Nikkor lenses (mostly primes) will not support autofocus
Grip could be larger
No depth-of-field preview
Included software doesn't allow for RAW image manipulation; Capture NX costs $150 more
Would've been nice for assist images to be in full menu as well as quick menu

DCRP Review: Canon Digital Rebel XTi
by Jeff Keller, DCRP Founder/Editor

What I liked:

Excellent photo quality (though see issue below)
Very low noise, even at high ISOs
Dust reduction system
Large 2.5" LCD display
Full manual controls, including nice white balance controls
Robust performance, especially in terms of continuous shooting
Flash-based AF-assist lamp; very good low light focusing, even without using it
Redeye not a problem
Hot shoe for external flash
Optional battery grip
USB 2.0 High Speed support
Capable RAW editor and remote camera control software included

What I didn't care for:

Images on the soft side at default settings
Small, hard to hold body; feels too "plasticky" in my opinion
Below average battery life
No spot metering
No 2 second or custom self-timer

XaiLo
Not a slam dunk by any stretch of the imagination. :D

tensixteen64
07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Other negatives about the D40:

The D40 does not have mirror lock up (entry level DSLRs of other manufactures all have that), the D80 offers a semi-mirror lock up function at least.

Just so you know, I'm too lazy to type it from the book, but, the D40 does offer the mirror lock up. You can read all about it here (http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d40.php).

I love my new camera. I haven't found anything I don't like about it, yet. I did just buy a new lens, so I will have to wait and see how much I love the camera and the lenses. :D

coldrain
07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Eric, I seem to be a better reader.
And I addressed both things the OP was wondering about... that the Sigma will not focus on the D40, that it will focus on the F75 (1st thing), and the negatives of the D40 (2nd thing).

hey people..

That was the OP's post, and I did answer to him.
What a post in reaction to someone else has to do with this, I have no idea. It is not hard to see what I reacted to, really.
To the OP I recommended the D80 and D50. Not a single mention of Canon, Pentax, Sony or whatever else!

So, Eric, I do think I did answer the OP's post well, and thoroughly.

That I told ANOTHER poster that I thought an XT or XTi would be a better idea for that person, with arguments, what on earth is wrong with that? That person does NOT have Nikon lenses, or whatever.

Sad to see you joining the bashing.

And tensixteen64, since you have a D40, how does one activate mirror lock up on the D40/D40X?

Dpreview has not been able to find it during their review of the D40, nor during the review of the D40X.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/page20.asp

And on Nikon's website, they do mention the shooting mode "5) Mirror-up mode" in the D200 sepcifications, but they do not mention that with the D40 and D40X specifications.
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25424

Either you and that commercial advert blog are mistaken, or dpreview, DCRP, and Nikon are mistaken and/or incomplete in their information.
For now I will assume it is you and that fake blog that are mistaken. But I will be glad when proven wrong.

fionndruinne
07-05-2007, 04:04 PM
Lack of a dedicated WB or ISO button can't be a real downside when it takes only a few seconds to change. Coldrain, your downsides are subjective!

The only real, unequivocal downside to the D40 is the limited lensing; but every D40 owner, as well as everyone else, is quick to make this known to newly interested parties. Coldrain, your crusade is... unnecessary.

coldrain
07-05-2007, 04:13 PM
Lack of a dedicated WB or ISO button can't be a real downside when it takes only a few seconds to change. Coldrain, your downsides are subjective!

The only real, unequivocal downside to the D40 is the limited lensing; but every D40 owner, as well as everyone else, is quick to make this known to newly interested parties. Coldrain, your crusade is... unnecessary.
You are NOT the benchmark of camera users, you yourself are just a beginner with relatively little knowledge of what to use whan, and what features are for what.
So quit making everytime I find it important to inform someone about certain aspects this into something personal!

As to the button issue, it is an issue compared to most other cameras.
If you are incapable of understanding that it is preferrable to be able to get to ISO/WB settings with one clear button press, fine. D80 owners for instance will value that. Whether or not you find that issue important, is for YOU to decide. Stop deciding for everyone else.
That you are too lazy to point it out to prospective buyers is also your business.

This thread is not, and was never, about YOU and your camera choice. I have answered the OP's questions. period.

erichlund
07-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Eric, I seem to be a better reader.
And I addressed both things the OP was wondering about... that the Sigma will not focus on the D40, that it will focus on the F75 (1st thing), and the negatives of the D40 (2nd thing).

Let me refresh your memory:

The 70-300 apo will NOT work on the D40 because of that missing AF motor.

That statement is in error and therefore misleading. It will not autofocus on the D40. But if you put it on the D40 it will meter and you can focus manually, so it will work. The lens can be used on a D40.

tensixteen64
07-05-2007, 05:18 PM
And tensixteen64, since you have a D40, how does one activate mirror lock up on the D40/D40X?

Dpreview has not been able to find it during their review of the D40, nor during the review of the D40X.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD40X/page20.asp

And on Nikon's website, they do mention the shooting mode "5) Mirror-up mode" in the D200 sepcifications, but they do not mention that with the D40 and D40X specifications.
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25424

Either you and that commercial advert blog are mistaken, or dpreview, DCRP, and Nikon are mistaken and/or incomplete in their information.
For now I will assume it is you and that fake blog that are mistaken. But I will be glad when proven wrong.

It's in my user manual and here, Ken Rockwell (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40/users-guide/menus-setup.htm), DCRP Review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/nikon/d40-review/).

erichlund
07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Just so you know, I'm too lazy to type it from the book, but, the D40 does offer the mirror lock up. You can read all about it here (http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_nikon_d40.php).

I love my new camera. I haven't found anything I don't like about it, yet. I did just buy a new lens, so I will have to wait and see how much I love the camera and the lenses. :D

Sara,
The mirror lockup function listed on pages 86 and 105 of your manual is only for inspection and cleaning of your sensor. I don't believe it's possible to use this for taking a picture.

There are rare critical circumstances where it is advantageous to be able to lock the mirror up and then trip the shutter after a delay. This is to prevent the mirror slap from jarring the camera during an exposure of short to moderate duration. My D200 has a mirror lockup mode for this purpose. My previous camera, the D70 did not, so it had the same thing your D40 has.

Of course, I could ask, do you own a tripod. If your answer is no, the mirror lockup is not something you will be using. If you do, one way around this is to use a strong neutral density filter. This will extend your exposure time to much longer than the duration of the slap, and therefore, minimize the effect of the slap. There's pretty much a way around any problem. You just have to be creative. ;)

tensixteen64
07-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks for explaining that Eric. :)

tcadwall
07-05-2007, 11:30 PM
CR knew the answer too, he was just too busy flaming. THis is getting ridiculous guys... Really. CR I think you mean well, but it would really help if you worded things a little softer. Erich, start chillin a little, you will live longer. This banter really detracts from the forum..> I appreciate what you guys both have to offer most of the time. This is needless, and is getting out of hand in my opinion. Come on, lets all be friends...:D

fionndruinne
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Coldy's getting personal. His statements begin to imply that he really does believe himself to be the benchmark by which cameras can be measured... which is, well, a lil' bit weird.

I stand by my statement: the only unequivocal downside to the D40 is limited lens choice. Other shortcomings are subjective, depending on non-standard users' needs (like mirror lock-up, only really needed for astral photography and exposures longer than the camera settings otherwise allow for. The miniscule amount of camera shake caused by the mirror shouldn't ever be a real-life problem), and therefore not really so important for an entry-level camera.

I'm done here; no need to keep on hashing a dead subject. Coldrain, if you'd be realistic about your criticisms of this camera, I'd let your posts alone.

XaiLo
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Apparently some people can say whatever they want... I'm out.

Kellie
07-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Why I even bothered to read this whole thread, I will never know. :rolleyes: I just want to add this little link to a review published by someone who actually uses the D40 - and a pro at that! :eek: (No, I'm not referring to KR LOL). I would love to quote one of his paragraphs, but I'm not sure that is allowed. So a good read for anyone considering the D40/D40x can be found here: http://www.bythom.com/d40review.htm

If you don't want to read the whole thing, skip ahead to the final comments section where he states that 99% of the settings one is likely to make while shooting can be changed without needing to enter the menu. (Remember, this is someone who uses the camera on a regular basis.)

Obviously, this is just one opinion, but many people respect his opinion and it's worth consideration since he actually has a lot of experience with this and other Nikon cameras. ;)

I'm buying one for my mom to take on her overseas trip and will probably be "borrowing" it from her quite often. :D

r3g
07-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Still no Sigma 150mm Macro so i just turned my kitlens around, held it to the shutter, and snapped one of my key :]

55mm, 1/30sec, F3.5, ISO800
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1016/752217418_38220c84a3.jpg

I swear its not what it looks like!
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1151/748465815_39be75d96c.jpg

Rooz
07-14-2007, 07:17 AM
refresh my memory again...when was the D40 released ? man that cam must really suck. :p

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Nikon_maintains_DSLR_lead_over_Canon_news_128284.h tml

XaiLo
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
I went to best buy this week and while I was there I picked up the 30D, XTi, XT, D40 first time I was able to compare all side by side at my leisure. Some may say ergonomics do not rank as high as a dedicated white balance, ISO, wheel, top, or an AF motor, LCD and so on. But I have to say while holding the 30D, XTi, XT, I felt like I was having a Kodak-instOmatic moment. Granted the 30D felt more sure of the three but that's not saying much imo when compared to the lowly D40. :rolleyes: While it might be a mini-me it felt like a one pound sure footed tank in comparison to the others.

I'm going to revisit a statement I made a while ago about the build quality of Canon... I stand by what I said there's plastic and then theirs plastic. And though this may in no way affect the internal goings on it does have a lot to do with the externals and general handling. I'm a tactile individual and sense of touch is important to me and it would seem that I am not alone in that regard. So in short what maybe a little issue to some maybe a big issue to others. I'm no fashion, sports, or PJ photog... but I've been able to use the D40 in all those respects with rather nice results. Gosh darn that little camera with no focus motor can really take some nice pics. :D

fionndruinne
07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Hear, hear, XaiLo. I believe ergonomics is more important than we may think... for one thing, the easier and more enjoyable a camera handles, the more prone we'll be to pick it up and use it! Surely if you're a professional it doesn't matter, but as a hobby and recreational pursuit, handling is a big thing. And I don't think there's ever been a DSLR with quite as good ergonomics as the D40. When you consider the small size, and then the fact that I can get all my fingers on the grip (XT/XTi, forget it, the little finger must hang free no matter what), it's pretty remarkable.