PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 30D vs. 400D Digital Rebel XTi

emblue
06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been very much appreciating all I'm learning from your posts. I could use some help in figuring out whether I should get the Canon EOS 30D or the 400D Digital Rebel XTi. This will be my first DSLR -- years back I was very into using my SLR and have dabbled in digital (point and shoot) for years. I'm ready to get back into SLR, just DSLR this time.

See my form responses below.
Thanks,
Em

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
---Ideally I'd like to stay in the $1200-1500 for everything I'll need to get started. (But if the 30D is better based on everything else, I can bump the budget up -- I don't want $500 or so to make the decision. So while budget is a consideration and I can't boost up a LOT, I don't want it to be the primary decision-maker for this.)

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
---I have kind of small hands, so size is important. Plus I like to go for long walks and shoot in the park/woods, so it shouldn't be too heavy.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
---I would like to be able to print these as large as possible without compromising quality.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
---I'm not sure.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
---Very important -- I'm looking to sell images eventually. So I'd say 8-10?

Do you care for manual controls?
---Yes, I'd like to be able to configure things manually sometimes.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
---Nature photos mostly -- landscapes and closeups. (With the intention of selling images.)

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
---Yes.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
---Probably not. Possibly some merchandise images, but they would be setup with lighting.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
---Probably not -- but possibly some animal/nature shots (action of sorts).

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
---I'm focused primarily on Canon.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
---I'm trying to decide between the Canon EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi and the Canon EOS 30D. I'm torn.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
---Image Stabilization is an interest (shaky hands sometimes) -- not sure if it's necessary/better to have it in the camera vs. the lense?

sophia2007
06-30-2007, 08:31 PM
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````
Did you go and hold both of these cameras in a store? Because I have small hands just like you and for a while I thought I was going to buy 20D, well now, probably 30D, but once I held them, they are BIG, the difference between 30D and the XT/XTi is huge! I am buying the XTi next month. But you did say you are going to try to sell these images? Prints? And how big?
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````
You: (If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
---Image Stabilization is an interest (shaky hands sometimes) -- not sure if it's necessary/better to have it in the camera vs. the lense?

I would like to know this as well. Slightly shaky hands which is so annoying *SIGH* I found canon lense today which seem nice and it says image stabilizer on them, they were rated highly aswell. I am pretty sure it is better to have it on the lense, as it is different if your hands are shaky for a macro shot vs. landscape. For me there'd have to be an elephant sitting on my lense so the little whatever I am taking a photo of stay sharp.

Oh here are the links for image stabilizer lense:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-17-85mm-4-5-6-Stabilized-Digital/dp/B0002Y5WXO/ref=pd_bbs_8/104-3155589-0248765?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183260339&sr=8-8
and here is one more I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-300mm-4-5-6-Lens-Cameras/dp/B0007Y794O/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-3155589-0248765?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1183260339&sr=8-3

Sophia