PDA

View Full Version : List of Lens

CFord_Shooter
06-30-2007, 03:14 PM
what are the lens companies that are compatible with Nikon DSLRs? so far all i know of are Nikkor, Tamron, and Sigma. any others?

colemanr
06-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Tokina is another one. They make a nice 12-24 f/4.

Rob

erichlund
06-30-2007, 06:20 PM
Zeiss is reputed to make some very nice manual focus lenses for the current Nikon dSLRs. I'm sure someone has actually seen them somewhere, but they are vaporware to me.

There are also the 27th party manufacturers (I made up the number). You know, the one's your embarassed to admit you bought one of their lenses when you could have had a quality lens for just a little bit more.

Amongst these are Quantaray, which isn't a lens manufacturer, but a label for the Ritz Camera stores. Their lenses are made for them by reputable companies like Sigma and Tamron, but to Ritz specs, which are designed to keep the price low. You get what you pay for.

(Some of what follows are just impressions, as I don't have any recent experience with them. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm way off base.)
Another is Vivatar/Contax. I think there was a time when Vivatar was in the place Sigma is now, but they seem to have fallen on bad times. I may be completely off base about the Contax name, but I think it used to belong to a company that competed with Leica for very high end stuff. Now, I think they just sell Vivatar stuff in a different market.

Optecka (sp?) makes some really wierd and unique products. For instance they have a lens with about a 1300mm focal length that starts at f8. It's cheap, but really, the only thing it's useful for is moon shots.

I'm sure there are others, but if you are looking for decent and better quality, stick with the vendors in the first two posts and you can't get bit too hard.

K1W1
06-30-2007, 06:47 PM
I may be completely off base about the Contax name, but I think it used to belong to a company that competed with Leica for very high end stuff.

The Contax brand was purchased by Kyocera (the Printer and Ceramics company) at the dawn of the digital age (about 10 years ago). Kyocera entered into a partnership with Carl Zeiss to develop the brand as an upmarket digital camera (sort of Toyota / Lexus).
It didn't work.
Kyocera stopped manufacturing cameras in early 2005 and both the Kyocera and Contax brands are no longer available.

My first digital camera was a Kyocera.
1.3 megapixels
3xoptical zoom
4MB CF card!
1.5" LCD screen
Battery life (4 x AA) about 30 shots
Serial cable to transfer images to a PC

Great camera (in it's day, it's still sitting on the desk beside me now). I got it free (perks of the IT industry) but the WHOLESALE price then was about the same at the retail price of a D80 with 18-135 kit lens today.