PDA

View Full Version : Need help on which camera

Haidden
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Ok ive been looking at camera reviews etc for past week or so and having trouble deciding.

I posted couple days ago with that form filled out but have been looking since then even more trying to figure out what I want.

Im looking for a camera that will take good concert photos, firework photos, and just good regular photos while vacationing etc. Would also like face detection, image stabilization if possible , 6x+ zoom , etc

Sony DSC-H9
Canon PowerShot G7
Fujifilm FinePix F40 fd
Canon PowerShot S5 IS
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd

Those are some of the cameras I have been looking at. What camera would any of you suggest in me getting.

It can be from the list above or can be one that you think would be better for what ill be doing.

Thanks.

Haidden
06-29-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyone able to help?

shahmatt
06-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Ok ive been looking at camera reviews etc for past week or so and having trouble deciding.

I posted couple days ago with that form filled out but have been looking since then even more trying to figure out what I want.

Im looking for a camera that will take good concert photos, firework photos, and just good regular photos while vacationing etc. Would also like face detection, image stabilization if possible , 6x+ zoom , etc

Sony DSC-H9
Canon PowerShot G7
Fujifilm FinePix F40 fd
Canon PowerShot S5 IS
Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd

Those are some of the cameras I have been looking at. What camera would any of you suggest in me getting.

It can be from the list above or can be one that you think would be better for what ill be doing.

Thanks.

Since you would like some zoom range, we can eliminate the Fuji F40FD and Canon G7 which have only standard zoom lenses. You then have the Sony H9, Canon S5, and Fuji S6500FD left. Concert shots mean lowlight shooting probably without a flash. You would want a good high ISO image quality for that. This eliminates the H9 without question (since it just got a whopping from Jeff in the reviews page of this site). I strongly suspect the Canon S5 will be similar to the Canon S3 in the image quality department, which means in high ISO terms it would not be good. That leaves the Fuji S6500FD, which is the lowlight king, and leader of the high ISO world.

The S6500FD does not have image stabilization, but I don't think IS would help in a concert or while shooting fireworks, as the subjects will most probably be moving won't they? IS will only help stabilize the camera so that you can use a slower shutter speed for an image. If your subject moves it will show up blurred. So yeah, I think the Fuji will be a good choice from what you've listed.

Haidden
07-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Are there any cameras you would suggest that use SD instead of Xd like Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd does?

I am probably going to end up getting the Fujifilm S6000fd but was just wanting to see if there are any equivalent cameras out there that use the SD card instead

John_Reed
07-06-2007, 09:37 PM
And it uses SD cards and DOES do fireworks, at least from a tripod:

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/169749259-L.jpg

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/169749407-L.jpg

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/169759762-L.jpg

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/169749763-L-1.jpg

I took those on the evening of July 4th with my TZ3. Now, as for concert shooting, I think there's a dilemma there. As others have said, the Fuji S6500 et al are undoubtedly the best for low-light shooting, but their zoom range is limited to 300mm, which is a little short for good closeups, in my experience. That may be the best compromise for your purposes, though without stabilization, there IS the issue of camera shake that can degrade the quality of any long-zoom shots; for example, if you're shooting at full zoom with the Fuji, your minimum shutterspeed should be 1/300. Any slower than that, and you'd better be shooting from a tripod, or at least a monopod.

The TZ3, to its credit, can take some pretty decent photographs. Check out my TZ3 gallery (http://john-reed.smugmug.com/gallery/2762845) to see some of the things I've been able to do with this excellent little instrument.

griptape
07-06-2007, 10:34 PM
No. Fuji is the sh*t when it comes to low light. They use xd. Get over it or buy a camera with more noise (unless you're willing to step into the world of DSLR's.

Haidden
07-07-2007, 09:51 AM
No. Fuji is the sh*t when it comes to low light. They use xd. Get over it or buy a camera with more noise (unless you're willing to step into the world of DSLR's.

Did I say anything about Xd? No. I asked if there was a good camera equivalent in any way to the fuji that uses SD. No need for the arrogant remarks.

Only thing with DSLR, which I really have not looked into is buying lenses and everything. Is there any good DSLR that would be good for what I want but without buying the extra lenses etc? My price range is nothing over 500$

I also take alot of pictures of animals, puppies, etc.

John_Reed
07-08-2007, 08:18 AM
Did I say anything about Xd? No. I asked if there was a good camera equivalent in any way to the fuji that uses SD. No need for the arrogant remarks.

Only thing with DSLR, which I really have not looked into is buying lenses and everything. Is there any good DSLR that would be good for what I want but without buying the extra lenses etc? My price range is nothing over 500$

I also take alot of pictures of animals, puppies, etc.If you want all that stuff for $500 or less in a DSLR, i.e., lens coverage from good wideangle (28mm or less) to long zoom (400mm or greater?), it can't be done with new equipment. Probably takes 3 lenses (or fewer more expensive lenses?) to do it well with the most minimal of camera bodies, whatever that might be. Check eBay for deals?

Haidden
07-08-2007, 05:26 PM
Does the Canon PowerShot S5 IS take good photos in low light?

Rooz
07-08-2007, 09:35 PM
not as good as the fuji's.

tim11
07-08-2007, 10:27 PM
John: were tripod used for those shots? Great shots (again)!

I don't think firework shot can be considered 'lowlight' shot, can it?

Haidden:
When you think lowlight - think Fuji. I bought a Fuji for this reason alone. Others will do the job, albeit at a lower success rate.
Why F41fd in the shortlist? It's compact 3x optical zoom, 'automatic' camera. It's very much a S6000fd with all manual controls and long zoom stripped off and placed in a much smaller body.
Face Detection? fd in S6000fd is working great. S6000 has no IS. It just goes to show you can't have everything.

Haidden
07-11-2007, 01:34 PM
I go to concerts like 2 every month which has low lighting and I would want good pictures of that. The other times I would just be taking pictures of animals like dogs etc and random pictures of just whats out there as I travel around.

So the question is would the Canon S5is be more suitable than the fuji and still turn out decent photos in low light?

Is there a website that you can look at photos of different camera besides the forums on here?

tim11
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Haidden,
I said when you think lowlight think Fuji. And that's not because I'm biased. To shoot in lowlight you need a camera that can shoot at high ISO. S6000 image is the cleanest at high ISO. For concert shots, it's not unusual that you might need ISO800 or even higher.
Yes you can check out DCRP reviews on Fuji S6000fd (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s6000fd-review/) and Canon S5 IS (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s5-review/). Just click on the link I put.
Check out ISO tests of wine bottles to see the difference in image quality. S6000fd, while not a perfect camera, is the best non DSLR for lowlight and I advise you to use some manual controls to tweak the best potential out of it.

flippedgazelle
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Haidden, in my sig is a link to my smugmug gallery, which contains photos mostly taken with the Fuji S6000. I'm not a particularly good photographer, but I believe the photos can give you an inkling of the Fuji's capabilities.

However, if you are taking a camera to concerts, is there a chance that something as SLR-ish looking as an ultrazoom might get confiscated? The last concert I went to was something like 4 years ago (Dream Theater at the Garden State Arts Center in NJ), and I saw signs limiting camera usage (and no camcorders) and SLR's being confiscated.

Here's a lowlight, ISO 800 photo:

Haidden
07-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Some concerts they will confiscate and some they wont. I always check before hand. A concert like dream theater I could see them doing that. I know when I went to evanescence concert they took up everything even studded belts etc, but at Nickelback, Chevelle, Hinder, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamins, Shinedown and bunch others they allowed them, even camcorders. Also night clubs that hold concerts will let them in also.

Getting a 500 dollar camera taken up is something one wouldnt be to happy about lol.

Thanks for the gallery, checking it out now.

What settings did you use for the Scapes 'n stuff photos?

Like this one:

Picture http://catographer.smugmug.com/gallery/2362218#168620139-L-LB

was that taken with fuji

flippedgazelle
07-12-2007, 06:06 AM
Even taking studded belts... yikes.

Yeah, nearly all the photos, except for a few of the oldest ones, were taken with the Fuji.

For the photo you specified, the settings were: ISO 100, 1/340s, F8. I shot RAW and posts-processed in Photoshop. I don't always shoot RAW, but I always post-process.

CameraDG
07-13-2007, 12:01 PM
suggess u for Panasonic DMC - TZ3.. :D
- 7 mega pixel
- 28 - 280 mm Wide-Angle Lens and 10x optical zoom.(good lens quality with LEICA Lens.)
- ISO Auto, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1250, (3200 high mode) with Intelligent ISO Control
- MEGA O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilization) for Anti blur
- LCD 3.0" 230,000 pixel
for more infomation...
http://www.khumdee.com/CC_WebApp1/UI/home.aspx?cid=17&sid=0&did=69 << TZ3