PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Opinions

Bob_Benner
06-28-2007, 03:19 AM
I am really starting to take my photography seriously. I have recently purchased a D200 and the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 Vr lens. I am picking up the Nikon 12-24mm wideangle lens on Friday. I was wondering how crazy is it for me to be thinking about buying another D200 body to mount my 12-24 wideangle kens on? I really do not use the gap between 24-70mm very often, when I do my 50mm f/1.8 gets used. I would like to be able to go from wide angle to telephoto quickly and no have to change lenses. I know could get a "do it all lens" but I do not want to give up the optical quality of my two main lenses. I can afford another body right now and I feel this would suit me pretty good. Are there many people shooting with two bodies out there? I was shooting some cycling races the other night and had both my D50 and
D200 with me at all times and it really made it easy to go from my semi wide 18mm to my telephoto quickly whenever I wanted to. Would the purchase of another D200 be stupid and not worth it, or is it a reasonable thing to do? I know I could mount my wide angle on my D50 but after shooting with the
D200 I want to use nothing but it from now on. Any opinions on this matter and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help.

Rooz
06-28-2007, 03:55 AM
this is an interesting question cos i was talking with a friend about this the other day who is looking to buy a second body after he destroyed his d70s.

he is holding off on another d200 purely from the iso performance POV and waiting till the end of the year to see if nikon announces a replacement that can fill the hole.

Bob_Benner
06-28-2007, 05:31 AM
this is an interesting question cos i was talking with a friend about this the other day who is looking to buy a second body after he destroyed his d70s.

he is holding off on another d200 purely from the iso performance POV and waiting till the end of the year to see if nikon announces a replacement that can fill the hole.

The ISO performance is the one reason I waited to get my D200. I was considering the canon 5D, but in the end stuck with Nikon. The 5D did not feel as good to me as the D200. I can live with the iso performance since I really don't shoot to much in low light.

Rooz
06-28-2007, 06:14 AM
The ISO performance is the one reason I waited to get my D200. I was considering the canon 5D, but in the end stuck with Nikon. The 5D did not feel as good to me as the D200. I can live with the iso performance since I really don't shoot to much in low light.

not to mention the d200 is less than half the price @ around $1200 cheaper. lol

tcadwall
06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Dude, you see this all of the time with serious photographers - errr the ones that are paying their bills by selling their shots.

I have seen good wedding photographers that run around with 2 cameras at a time, with a 3rd camera on a monopod with huge freakin glass that they are only going to use to get ONE shot with. Extra bodies are always good, but they don't have to be the same model. Why don't you use the D50 as your secondary until you see what Nikon is going to do this year. Rooz does have a very good point. The D200 is coming due for a replacement, put the money in a good stock, and maybe a brand new D300 won't take more out of your pocket than a D200 today... but don't lose money with bad stock! lol

aparmley
06-28-2007, 06:55 AM
Bob - all I can say is if you got the green go for it. . .

XaiLo
06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Bob I can identify with what you're wanting to accomplish if ISO is not an issue for you then for the same money there is nothing that competes with the D200. All I can say if you don't want to buy a D200, don't ever put one in your hands (the force is strong in that one) don't even look through the viewfinder it's liable to become permanently attached to your eye. Then your wallet mysteriously appears in your free hand while the thumb is skillfully extracting the MasterCard from it's hidden chamber... gleefully leaving the store with your new appendage... and a few weeks later you realize you spent $1500. LOL Well I can see it happening. LOL Like Roozs friend I've been waiting for Nikon to make their next move. Which I hope comes sooner rather than later. Hey if you're happy with the D200 and want a second one I say go for it... there's a lot to be happy about.

Rooz
06-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Bob - all I can say is if you got the green go for it. . .

trust a fire dancer to say that. :D

tekriter
06-28-2007, 07:31 AM
Bob I can identify with what you're wanting to accomplish if ISO is not an issue for you then for the same money there is nothing that competes with the D200. All I can say if you don't want to buy a D200, don't ever put one in your hands (the force is strong in that one) don't even look through the viewfinder it's liable to become permanently attached to your eye. Then your wallet mysteriously appears in your free hand while the thumb is skillfully extracting the MasterCard from it's hidden chamber... gleefully leaving the store with your new appendage... and a few weeks later you realize you spent $1500. LOL Well I can see it happening. LOL Like Roozs friend I've been waiting for Nikon to make their next move. Which I hope comes sooner rather than later. Hey if you're happy with the D200 and want a second one I say go for it... there's a lot to be happy about.

Allow me to shamelessly re-post something I posted back in January...

------------------------------

OK, a few days ago I was in a local dealer, the only one in town who has people that know anything, picking up some 8x10 photo folders...

As is my habit, I'm looking in the used lens case to see if they have anything interesting. Salesman comes by, a new guy I've not seen there before, and asks "Are you a Nikon guy?", and of course I say that I am. He asks if there's anything he can show me, and I reply "just looking". He asks which Nikon I have - D50 - he says "very nice, have you seen the D200?"

Before I know it, a D200 is in my hands. He asks about my favorite shooting - sports, especially high schools - and immediately starts telling me why the D200 is soooo much better for me than the D50 - higher ISO's, better resolution, fast shutter speeds, fast cycle time, flash commander, etc.

Anyway, I'm playing around with it as he speaks, nodding my head, and I'm liking it a whole lot. He keeps on, speaking softly, mentioning the larger viewfinder, the larger LCD, more autofucus points...and I'm actually starting to mentally calculate how this would fit on my credit card. I feel light-headed, dreaming of what I could do with this incredible machine.

Suddenly an image of my wife screaming 'WHAT THE #$%&@ DID YOU BUY NOW!!:eek::eek::mad: " appears in my brain, and I hand the D200 back, thank the man for the information, and get out while I still could...

Friends, NAS is an insidious thing...from now on I'm only going in that store with a buddy who can pull me out before I take the plunge!!

TNB
06-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Are there many people shooting with two bodies out there . . . Would the purchase of another D200 be stupid and not worth it, or is it a reasonable thing to do? I know I could mount my wide angle on my D50 but after shooting with the D200 I want to use nothing but it from now on.
I'm pretty much the same since I may carry my D50, but take almost all my shots with the D200. Someone else I know also has the D2Xs, yet prefers his D200--now, that D2Xs is an expensive backup.

All I can say if you don't want to buy a D200, don't ever put one in your hands (the force is strong in that one).
Agreed. I even tried some of the high-end Canons, but preferred the feel of the D200. Then again, I even tried shooting with the Hasselblad H3D-39--way, way out of my price range.

jcon
06-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Right now I use both the D50 and D200 on paying shoots. When the D200 upgrade comes out, I will be purchasing that and will have the D200 coupled with the upgrade as my two "work" bodies. I will probably sell off the D50 then. Like Tcad said, its pretty important for "pros" to use 2 bodies at a time. Some would even say you need another photographer with you, but its not truly "needed"

A set up with 2 D200s would be very nice! Although, a D200 and a possible D300 might even be better....

TNB
06-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Some would even say you need another photographer with you, but its not truly "needed"
A second camera or a second photographer is like insurance since most of the time insurance is not needed until something goes wrong. Just think about what happens when the only paid photographer looses his data... reshoot the entire wedding, along with paying all the other costs, i.e. food and lodging, lost wages, etc. It's more than a lost "roll of film", especially since the second time around won't be as enjoyable for any of the parties.

Alex D80
06-28-2007, 07:35 PM
As is my habit, I'm looking in the used lens case to see if they have anything interesting. Salesman comes by, a new guy I've not seen there before, and asks "Are you a Nikon guy?", and of course I say that I am. He asks if there's anything he can show me, and I reply "just looking". He asks which Nikon I have - D50 - he says "very nice, have you seen the D200?"

Before I know it, a D200 is in my hands........

Sounds SOOOOO freaking familiar. Same thing happened to me, but with the D80. I started looking into the XT, then the XTi, then, what the heck, the D40, oh wow, look at the D40x, then D80.... $1375 later walked out with camera, couple of lenses, filters, battery, memory chip, etc.

Still, I am hearing my wife talking about it. And to keep on hearing it, she says 'how come you take so many scenery pictures? where are the girls, how about me, family shots?' hehe..

If you have the need, then go for it. If the D50 is not enough, then go for it. If you can hold to see what Nikon does, then wait a bit. Either you can buy the new upcoming Dxxx or maybe pickup a D200 for cheaper and save some bucks for more glass.

aparmley
06-28-2007, 09:00 PM
trust a fire dancer to say that. :D

Oye. . . A.) you can't take it (money) with you. & 2.) no body makes it out alive!

. . . she says 'how come you take so many scenery pictures? where are the girls . . (?)' hehe..

Its time to surrender; listen to the wife: Model Mayhem! (http://modelmayhem.com/)

Bob_Benner
06-29-2007, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have decided to go ahead and get another D200 on Monday from B&H Photo. I will be making a few hundred next Tuesday for shooting some cycling races so I figured it would be nice to have another D200 to use for that.