PDA

View Full Version : d40 questions.

dxrocnxj
06-28-2007, 01:17 AM
im sure theres a bunch of threads explaining plenty of my questions and i apolgize in advance for being to so lazy.:)

i just ordered a d40 and it will be here monday or tuesday
but regardless of me being extremely anxious, i need to ask a question or two.

do any of you have experience with this camera?
if so how do you like it?

also, ive seen sigma come out with a whole list of compatible lenses for the d40,
are these just as good to the d40 as the nikon lenses?

i'll be shooting a little bit of everything and im on a semi tight budget up to 400 a lens, any suggestions on a lens besides the kit lens 18-55?

oh and p.s. im pretty new to the site and i just wanna say i love what you guys do to help each other and thank you to everyone who helps me through on here, i appreciate it more than you know.:D

Rooz
06-28-2007, 04:01 AM
there is a d40 pic thread in here which has the results of the d40 from users. its a very impressively performing entry level dslr. there are also alot of d40 threads recently. in the search function look for d40 in this forum and it will come up with heaps of alternative threads for you.

i note that you are aware of the AF motor limitation. there is the 18-70 and 18-135 but they aren;t really a step up from what you already have. the only step up is the 18-200VR. you should be happy with the kit lens though, it has very good optics so that range is covered pretty much.

macro:
sigma 150mm
nikkor 105VR

telephoto:
nikkor 55-200VR
nikkor 70-300VR
nikkor 80-200f2.8afs

wide angle:
nikkor 12-24mm
sigma 10-20mm

dxrocnxj
06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
thanks!

exactly what i needed.

fionndruinne
06-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Everyone will recommend the Nikkor 55-200mm VR, and for good reason - it's a great deal. If you want a high-quality, fast prime lens, try the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, for a little over $400.

Have fun with your (entirely fun) new camera!

XaiLo
06-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I like it a lot and contrary to a lot of what is being exposed by people who it was never meant to be marketed to... and that would never buy it first place. It remains a well liked entry level P&S replacement DSLR. It's high ISO performance is nothing to be just casually over looked either. And it can achieve some rather impressive pictures right out the box. The lack of a focus motor has not stopped me from taking any pictures so far.