PDA

View Full Version : Confused again....F30 or S6000?

metalliholic07
06-27-2007, 08:41 PM
I've just recently stumbled upon reviews of the F30, after reading many reviews of the S6000(which I'm close to buying), and seems to be a great low light camera......just less zoom and smaller than the S6000. But, for the little bit extra, is it still better to get the S6000? Thanks in advance!

tim11
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Why confused?
If you don't mind the size it's the S6000. It has almost everything one can asks for from a PnS camera.
If you want a compact size camera that can fit in a purse, jacket pocket; it's F30.
I suggest you see both in a store.

metalliholic07
06-27-2007, 09:20 PM
Why confused?
If you don't mind the size it's the S6000. It has almost everything one can asks for from a PnS camera.
If you want a compact size camera that can fit in a purse, jacket pocket; it's F30.
I suggest you see both in a store.

Thanks. Yeah, I figure I'm better off with the S6000. It is a little big, but picture quality at concerts when flash is not allowed is most important, so the S6000 would win in that respect. I went to that site where you can compare pictures side by side, and the S6000 still takes a better picture than the F30.

metalliholic07
06-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Also, at least until the end of the day today(rebate offer ends)..........I can get the S6000 for not much more than the F30, and now I've heard that the F30 has slightly sharper pictures due to the 3x zoom??????? The person explained it, but it's foreign language to me. Is it simply a size plus a few features difference, or does the F30 really have a better picture quality? Thanks again, in advance.

David Metsky
06-30-2007, 10:40 AM
The bigger the zoom lens, the harder it is to make it sharp over the entire range. For your needs, the S6000 sounds like the better choice.

metalliholic07
06-30-2007, 10:56 AM
The bigger the zoom lens, the harder it is to make it sharp over the entire range. For your needs, the S6000 sounds like the better choice.
Even If I didn't use zoom a lot? Also, would it be a dramatic difference in picture sharpness, or not worth writing home to mom about? Thanks again for your help.

sridhar
06-30-2007, 11:28 AM
After reading serveral reviews both by pros and ordinary people like you and me (on Amazon), I've opted for s6000. $50 rebate ends today. Go for it.

metalliholic07
06-30-2007, 11:42 AM
After reading serveral reviews both by pros and ordinary people like you and me (on Amazon), I've opted for s6000. $50 rebate ends today. Go for it.

Yeah, most likely will.........and would have already, except it was pointed out that the F30 can take a slightly sharper picture, and it's very compact, so I'm still just a little hesitant. Did you consider the F30 also?

sjseto
06-30-2007, 11:50 AM
Even If I didn't use zoom a lot? Also, would it be a dramatic difference in picture sharpness, or not woth writing home to mom about? Thanks again for your help.

Sometimes it depends on what the subject is. For example, in Jeff's reviews of both cameras, look at the still life photos taken at ISO 100. The F30's appears a bit sharper than the one taken by the S6000, which is particularly noticeable when you look at the label on the whisky bottle. But this is when viewing at 100% resolution. If you resize for web viewing it won't be nearly as noticeable, if at all. In prints it likely won't be an issue unless the prints are very large or you're printing from a very small crop. And applying unsharp mask in an image editor will probably help.

I wouldn't let a slight difference in sharpness be the major factor in deciding between the two cameras. Like Tim said, if size isn't an issue, go for the S6000. It is a much more useful camera in concerts due to the zoom range. If you want something you can comfortably carry with you at all times, get the F30.

I went for the F30 but it's because I already had an SLR for "serious" shooting, and I wanted a fun, compact camera to complement it. If I could only have one camera I might have gone for one of the ultra-zoom cameras like the S6000.

Stephanie

sridhar
06-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I considered F31fd which is basically F30.

s6000 = F30 + more.

I went for it (s6000) because of higher optical zoom.

You can check out some sample F31fd taken pics here (http://picasaweb.google.com/foivosloxias/FujiFinepixF31fdSamples) (not mine).

metalliholic07
07-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Well, I settled on the S6000.......just ordered it from Amazon, and in time for the rebate. I think having the extra zoom will be a good tradeoff for the larger size over the F31. That should help me get better shots at shows. Hope I don't regret not getting the F31, because of it's small size, and what quite a few people are saying has a little better picture quality.

sridhar
07-03-2007, 02:32 AM
I wanted to buy S6000fd but ended up buying F31fd since I missed the $50 rebate. We shall exchange cameras after few months time ;)

tim11
07-03-2007, 03:32 AM
....Hope I don't regret not getting the F31, because of it's small size, and what quite a few people are saying has a little better picture quality.
F31fd is surely smaller but its manual functions is limited and it certainly doesn't have the zoom reach of the S6000fd; so for concert shots, you will have to be up front if you get F31.
As for their difference in image quality, you will have to view both at 100% on screen to see any difference. If you only make small prints for post on internet the diff. becomes irrelevant.

metalliholic07
07-04-2007, 04:52 PM
I wanted to buy S6000fd but ended up buying F31fd since I missed the $50 rebate. We shall exchange cameras after few months time ;)

Go back to Amazon........they have the lowest price, and they have new rebate dates.