PDA

View Full Version : Cant Decide

spephi
06-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Hi, please help me decide on a good, affordable and reliable Sony Camera. I have had experience with a Sony b4, so there is where my loyalty lies. (Although i just might be open to other sugestions). See answers to the questionnaire below. Thanks. :)

Buget - US$ 200-250
Size - Compact
Features - 7.2 megapixels or greater
Optical Zoom - Standard 3x/4x
Image Quality - rated 9
Manual Controls - Yes
General use - Everyday stuff, indoor & outdoor
Big Prints - Not really
Indoor/Low light pics. - Alot
Sports/Action Photos - On Occasion
Brands - Preferably Sony
Models in Mind - Sony Cyber-shot W55 or W80

NB! Must have Great battery Life

Relpy soon,
Steff

John_Reed
06-27-2007, 04:28 PM
If your main squeeze is low-light shots, the Sonys aren't as good as the Fujis. Take Jeff's Fuji F30 review (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f30-review/) from this site, and in particular, look at the noise comparison he has in there comparing the Fuji to a typical Sony camera. Plus, the F30 has outstanding battery life.

tim11
06-27-2007, 09:10 PM
F30 is only 6.2MP though.
May I ask why you want 7.2MP+?
Do you make prints larger than A3 size? For A3 size, 5MP is good enough.
Many people are mislead to think that larger MP means higher quality; but that's just not the case.

spephi
06-29-2007, 07:08 AM
Thanks for your replies so far:) Maybe greater than 7.2 is kinda pushing it. I'll look into the F30 as was suggested. If Sony's aren't that gr8 for low light shots as compared to others, what feature are they known for?

David Metsky
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
If Sony's aren't that gr8 for low light shots as compared to others, what feature are they known for?
High-priced proprietary memory cards?

:)

I wouldn't say Sonys have any distinguishing characteristics that stand out. They make competent cameras, a little quirky for my tastes. But I don't think they really do any one thing exceptionally better then anyone else.