PDA

View Full Version : Compact Camera with good low light

chiruanna
06-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi,

I am looking for a camera with the following requirements. Please advise.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera?
$300 or less. Have a couple of Best Buy gift cards

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
Small. Able to fit in my pocket. This is very imp

Features

* How many megapixels will suffice for you?
5 MP or more

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
3X or more

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?
No

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
General purpose ...
around parks, museums, zoos, travels, fireworks, sunsets, indoors, taking pics of recipes for blogs, etc

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
No.

* Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes. This is also very imp. A majority of my pics are either night shots, low light or indoors.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Occasionally

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
All my cameras were Canon. I wouldn't mind other brands.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
The Canon SD series looks good but I dont know which models are good. Dont know about other brands.

Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Image stabilization, good battery life, good size LCD, lots of shooting modes.

David Metsky
06-27-2007, 07:29 AM
If you want the ability to take low light shots without flash then the logical choice is the Fuji F-20, 30, and 40. They are better then the Canons for that task. They're slightly larger then the Canons or other ultracompact cameras, but they will do the job much better.

metalliholic07
06-27-2007, 08:37 PM
If you want the ability to take low light shots without flash then the logical choice is the Fuji F-20, 30, and 40. They are better then the Canons for that task. They're slightly larger then the Canons or other ultracompact cameras, but they will do the job much better.

Hi, If you don't mind me asking, what does a better job in low light between the F-30 and the S6000? Or are they about the same?

tim11
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Hi, If you don't mind me asking, what does a better job in low light between the F-30 and the S6000? Or are they about the same?
For untrained eyes, mine included, they will be just the same. However, S6000's IQ is said to be more smudgy due to noise reduction affect in-camera.

chiruanna
06-27-2007, 10:49 PM

Wow! The F-30 looks very promising. I am blown away by the reviews.
Which one do you think is the best between 20, 30 & 40? And by the way, is the 40 the same as 40fd?

Thanks....I'll be checking these out in store.

tim11
06-28-2007, 05:46 AM
Wow! ........ is the 40 the same as 40fd?.....

Yes. fd stands for Face Detection; a handy feature. The camera exposes for human faces and that means no more darkened faces when shooting in back lighting situations.

David Metsky
06-28-2007, 05:51 AM
I've never used any of the Fujis, but from what I recall the F-30/31 is the full featured camera with full manual controls, the F-20 and its replacement F-40 are more basic P&S cameras. It would really depend on what you want in a camera.