PDA

View Full Version : Powershot S3 IS or Lumix DMC-FZ8

runninghorse12
06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Hello! I am looking for a new camera and have it narrowed down to the Canon Powershot S3 IS or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8. Here's my survey:

Budget

I would like to stay under $300.

Size

I would like to have something that I can use to take both artistic and snapshots. In other words, I don't mind if it's bigger, but I would like something that's not a huge burden to carry.

Features

I would like at least six megapixels.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) I would like a camera in the ultrazoom range.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) I would rage the importance of image quality as 9. I don't do professional level work, but I love making artistic shots. I like printing out 8x10's, but I don't really go any larger than that. I want something that will produce sharp, clear photos (at least as good as you can get for under 300 lol) with good color.

Do you care for manual controls? Yes, I need a camera that at least has aperture and shutter priority modes.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Both artistic and snap shots. I am a college student, so I can't afford an SLR, and I want to have a camera for both taking pictures of my friends and taking artistic shots. I want something that has good performance with action, macro, foliage, and portraits.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? No larger than 8x10.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? I like canon, but I wouldn't say there are any brands that I hate.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? See above. I also really liked the Fuji Finepix S6000, but I thought it might be too big to carry around.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Image stabilization would be nice, but I don't really care about the other things.

Thanks so much for your help, any other reccomendations are welcome!

AlexMonro
06-27-2007, 02:53 AM
If you're likely to be taking any low-light sports / action pictures, I'd suggest you have another think about the Fuji S6000. Otherwise, if your low-light shots are of static subjects, and your action shots are in daylight, the S3 of FZ8 should be fine.

The main differences between the S3 and FZ8 are that the S3 has a swivelling LCD, which can be useful for taing pictures at unusual angles, and it uses AA batteries, which give you a lot more flexibility in choice of power (alkalines, standard NiMH rechargeable, low self-discharge (Eneloop / Hybrio) NiMH rechargeable, lithium disposable) than the propriatory Li-ion of the FZ8. In some reviews I've seen, the Panasonic is said to be slightly faster at autofocus.

mitka
06-27-2007, 03:32 AM
i sailed in the same boat recently.. i've decided for S3. the reason is great in-hand comfort/ergonomics, severe noise reduction in panasonic cam. and more fun shooting with S3, with lot of custom, funny functions..