PDA

View Full Version : Mom needs a new camera, ASAP!

jenniel73
06-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Hi all! I have been reading other people's posts for a few weeks and figured it was time I step out there and ask for some help. I recently had to put my sony mavica mvc cd-500 out to pasture. Prior to that I had a canon power shot p&s. I was blown away by how much more "professional" the photos taken with the sony looked with very little effort. I am always getting compliments on my the professional quality of my photos and believe me I have no artistic ability! So, I am looking for a new camera that will give me the same beautiful photo quality. Here's the lowdown:

- I really would like to spend less than $800-600, but will do it for the picture quality.

- size doesn't matter

- i don't know much about megapixels...

- i would like to have pretty high zoom capability

- image quality is probably #1 for me...isn't it for everyone? just wondering!

- i would like a camera that i could learn to use the manual controls...brush up on my photography skills a bit

- generally the camera would be used to take family photos...i have two young children so i would be nice to use the camera for events (sports, plays, etc.) as they grow into

- someone already suggested to me the sony dsc-h7? i'm not sure why...

- i think i would like image stabilization...it sounds like something i would probably need, right?

thanks for your help!

canonwire
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi all! I have been reading other people's posts for a few weeks and figured it was time I step out there and ask for some help. I recently had to put my sony mavica mvc cd-500 out to pasture. Prior to that I had a canon power shot p&s. I was blown away by how much more "professional" the photos taken with the sony looked with very little effort. I am always getting compliments on my the professional quality of my photos and believe me I have no artistic ability! So, I am looking for a new camera that will give me the same beautiful photo quality. Here's the lowdown:

- I really would like to spend less than $800-600, but will do it for the picture quality.

- size doesn't matter

- i don't know much about megapixels...

- i would like to have pretty high zoom capability

- image quality is probably #1 for me...isn't it for everyone? just wondering!

- i would like a camera that i could learn to use the manual controls...brush up on my photography skills a bit

- generally the camera would be used to take family photos...i have two young children so i would be nice to use the camera for events (sports, plays, etc.) as they grow into

- someone already suggested to me the sony dsc-h7? i'm not sure why...

- i think i would like image stabilization...it sounds like something i would probably need, right?

thanks for your help!

Sounds like you're looking for something like a Sony h7 or h9 or a Canon S3IS or S5IS. Panasonic also makes a DMC series with near 12x zoom and IS as well...Fujifilm also but I don't think the Fuji have image stabilization...I may be wrong on that...

Anyways, these all have long 12x zoom and full manual controls...and they should all run you under 500 bucks or so (not sure how much the h9 is)

Good luck.

Paradox
06-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Actually, the Panasonic DMC's have image stabilisation (Well at least the FZ30 and FZ50 do). I'd recommend the FZ50 personally. Although I haven't yet got it, I'm going to have soon, and I have read basicly every review under the sun about it. It's a good camera - some noise problems at high ISO's it seems, but if as you say you want to use manual control, you should have no problem staying at lower ISO's really. Look up the full review on this site. :)

As for megapixels, they are just a measure of the size of the photograph. If you want to be able to print a big image, go for a high megapixel camera. If you want A4 prints, then 4-5 megapixels will probably do.

Hope I helped in some way. :)