PDA

View Full Version : Which Camera For Me

Haidden
06-25-2007, 09:23 PM
I have a few in mind the Canon Powershot G7 the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 or Fujifilm Finepix S6000fd but wanted to get what you guys thought also about these 2 cameras and if you have any better ones that you could suggest.

Budget

300-500

Size

Compact to Semi Compact

Features

Megapixels

7+

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

6+

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Taking pictures while traveling , fireworks, etc

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

not poster size no.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

At times

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

I would like to have a camera that is relatively fast to catch action pictures

Miscellaneous

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Canon Powershot G7 the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 or Fujifilm Finepix S6000fd

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

would like a fairly large lcd display 2.5"+, Image Stabilization, Face Detection, etc

AlexMonro
06-26-2007, 02:29 AM
The G7 is more compact, but has less zoom range. It has an optical viewfinder, which can make it easier to follow action.

The FZ8 has more reach at the long end of the zoom range so might be better for wildlife, but I don't think it has FD. It uses a proprietary lithium battery.

The 6000fd goes wider on the zoom, which is helpful for landscapes and interior shots, and has good high ISO sensitivity, which is better for low light. It doesn't have IS, but the high ISO allows faster shutter speed.

Haidden
06-26-2007, 04:51 AM
would you recommend any other camera and also out of the 3 which would you choose?

AlexMonro
06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
If you want another ultrazoom to consider, the Canon S3IS, or its new replacement the S5IS might be worth a look. They have image stabilisation and swivelling LCD screens, but only go to 36mm equivalent wide angle.

I like taking landscape pictures, so I tend to use wide angle a lot, so I'd go for the Fuji S6000.

seo
06-27-2007, 07:49 AM
Since getting the S6000fd, I take a lot more shots@ 28mm than I thought I would. It is the only one of the three with RAW capability (it is slow in Raw mode).