PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D40?

jjackman
06-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Canon EOS 350D or Nikon D40?

I've read so many posts on this topic and I still haven't got enough information to help me decide on whch one to buy. It seems as soon as I think I'm decided on which one to buy, I hear something different which throws me off again. So if anyone with experience with both cameras or can tell me what they like about one of the cameras over the other, please do so :). But in your post please be sure to compare the two. This will also be the first DSLR camera I will own.

What kind of photography I'm into:
Action
Night
Portrait
Macro

*Mainly Action and Portrait*

What I want from my camera:
Low noise
Small shutter lag
Fast and accurate auto focus (I am fully aware of the D40's issue with this)
And of course brilliant photo quality!

Hopefully this info will help you in your very helpful response to this post!
Thanks!

Tim018
06-25-2007, 05:51 PM
I hate to say it man- but you are going to probably get both sides here. usually with cameras, there are the nikon guys and the canon guys, and that is all there is to it. so i guess i am the first one here. My last experience with canon was not very good at all. I had the 20d and the image quality was not good.(at all in my experience) But despite my experience, i have seen some very good images come out of the 20d from other people.

Anyways, on to the cameras here. I have the Nikon D50 so i will give you my experience with that. The image quality has always been awesome, no problems. and from what i have seen, the D40 is only better. Also, the D40 has an excellent grip and build quality. I tried one out the other day at the store and i must say, it was built 10x better than the canon. very solid. Anyways- my experience with nikon has been awesome, i love my d50. it is always reliable and i can depend on it to take a good picture always.

one side note that is also important, the glass(lens) also means alot. you can have a crappy camera with a good lens and you can get a decent pic. you could also have a crappy lens with a good camera and get a not so good pic. so alot depends on the glass.

So, i would like this to be a fair forum, so if a canon user/lover would like to jump in and give us their opinion- that would be great.

btw jjackman: i can post some pics taken with my d50 if you would like to see the quality of the camera.

jjackman
06-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah, its what I suspected, but to try to lower the bias a little, I wanted them to tell me what they liked about one camera opposed to the other, which is what you have done. I was actually thinkin' about purchasing a 20d but I thought one of these cameras would be a better buy for me at the moment, so thanks for that info on the 20d.

I haven't gotten the chance to try out the D40 yet, but I have tried the XT, I did find the grip small, but it wouldn't affect my purchase if it were a better camera then the D40. I am leaning towards the XT mainly because of the 7 AF points and the auto focus advantage over the D40. I would like to see some pics from your d50 to see the quality of the camera because if the quality of your d50 is awesome, the d40 has to be the same if not better, so that would be very helpful. I know the quality the XT offers, so I would like to compare.

Thanks, Tim, for your helpful reply!

Tim018
06-25-2007, 09:55 PM
ok- here are some of the better pics i have taken with my d50 throught the last year. None of these pics have had any post processing- i did this to display the fairest results possible. but the d50 does PP very well. the image will look 10x better with 5 min of processing in photoshop. anyways- i will post another reply after this one for info on each pic(so i know what pics are in what order)

canonwire
06-25-2007, 10:11 PM
Honestly, they are both great cameras. You can't go wrong. Figure out what lenses system you want and go from there.

You really can't make a bad choice between the two.

Tim018
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
ok- i noticed you also said action shots- so i have one below. anyways- descriptions of my shots:

1. Windmill: 18-70mm, midday, 1/500 sec, F/9. oh- i lied before, i did edit this one slightly, i did brighten it just a touch- the rest are untouched

2. sand dunes: 18-70mm, i took this picture while walking in the great sand dunes, midday, 1/320, f/16, this is one of my favorite pics there

3. star pic from above: 18-70mm, 88 seconds, iso 800(i think, might have been 1600), f/8, tripod

4. night city pic: 18-70mm, 8 sec, iso 200 or 400, f/18, broadway street(den, Co), i love night city landscapes.

5. horse eye: 55-200mm, f/10, 1/250, taken at sunset, just thought it was an interesting shot

6. flowing river shot: 18-70mm, 1/15(no tripod), f/16, taken at a small creek in nevada

7. trees and log: 18-70mm, 1/200, f/7.1, just an interesting scene i thought

8. sunset city: 18-70mm, f/9, 1/320, taken at sunset in denver, co

9. baby: 18-70mm, 1/125, f/4.5, this is my little brother at 11 months(now one year)- he is the best portrait example i have

10. lake reflection: 18-70mm, 1/320, f/9, cool reflection at a lake in monument, colorado(i am sorry for the spot in the pic- there was something on the lens or the sensor at the time- sorry)

anyways- i suppose this shows off what the d50 can do pretty well with out an pp. i have lots more good images- but these are just a few. tell me what you think and i hope these help your decision

jjackman
06-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Wow, these are some pretty cool shots, I especially like the top three. The skies (especially the sand dunes pic) are awesome without any blown out highlights. I've noticed the night shot of the "star pic" is abit noisey, but iso 800 or 1600 would explain that with an exsposure time of 88 seconds. Its too bad that the d50 is unavailable in most stores, unless you go to ebay or somthin'.

Thanks for takin' the time to show me your pics, it has given me a good idea of what Nikon can deliver. But overall, I still think the Canon XT is a better camera than the d40 because of the 7 AF points over the 3 that the d40 has. Also, autofocus is a big deal to me because I like action shots, the built in AF in the XT is a huge plus for the XT over the d40. But if theres a d40 lover out there who would like to tell me why they believe the d40 is a more complete camera than the XT, I would LOVE to hear it :D.

Thanks again Tim!

Rhys
06-26-2007, 09:56 AM
My take:

I have the Canon XT/350D and the Canon 30D.

Personally, I would save my money a little longer and buy the 30D. It really is a lot better than the XT/350D. While I can do a lot with the XT, I notice image quality really isn't as good as on the 30D.

Tim018
06-26-2007, 11:00 AM
yah- the one i posted above was a little noisy- here is an example of a shot that was 28 min at iso 400- pretty good if you ask me. but if you do decide to go with the canon- i hope it serves you well.

jjackman
06-26-2007, 11:06 AM
28 minutes?! :eek: How is it possible to leave your camera on that long?? Most SLR's longest exposure time is 1 minute. Wow.. great photo by the way!