PDA

View Full Version : More High Dynamic Range Photography

Prospero
06-25-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi all,

Here are some High Dynamic Range pictures I took last week. I did a few things different than with previous attempts. I think they are starting to look a lot more realistic than they used to and the results are a bit sharper. Comments and Critique will be much appreciated

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

tcadwall
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Great job!

I can definitely see that you have done an exceptional job capturing / mapping the dynamic range of the scenes! And, you are right, without a trained eye, they don't look surreal at all. If the person viewing the shots knows by experience that the shadows have more detail than a normal exposure would allow, and that the highlights are not blown at the same time, they might figure out that they were HDR, (or possibly came from the new S5 with it's larger dynamic range).

Quality work.

herc182
06-25-2007, 11:05 AM
they look fantastic Prospero....
Look very realistic.

i would be VERY interested in knowing what you changed and your technique.

Especially like the first three

Camerajunkie
06-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, that first one especially is just, wow. I LOVE the clouds. WOW.

I'm beginning to really think I'm a landscape girl at heart. And I love the ones you do. Excellent job!

Prospero
06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am glad you like them.

Herc, what I did different now in comparison to other times was that I used less shots, only three. They were two stops apart. I used bracketing this time. Because the shots are taken to each other and because there are less, the sky is a lot sharper. For most of the sky there is only one picture covering it, which reduces soft edges. Also, the short time between the shots reduces motion in the trees.

Also, I used a bit more moderate settings in Photomatix which gives more realistic results.

Anyway, today I wrote the guide to making HDRs (which I had promised I would do a long time ago). I posted it here: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=232450

rawpaw18
06-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Dennis
They are looking great! The first one is my fave. Love that wide in vertical shots. Also like the last, but you need your bike in the shot:rolleyes:, and how big is that leaf in the last one?

Your hdr work is really good, the scenes look as you would see them naturally. Most impressive.

Prospero
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Dennis
They are looking great! The first one is my fave. Love that wide in vertical shots. Also like the last, but you need your bike in the shot:rolleyes:, and how big is that leaf in the last one?

Your hdr work is really good, the scenes look as you would see them naturally. Most impressive.

Thanks Rich.
The leaf is not as big as it seems. It is a bit distorted due to the wide angle. I would have loved to put my bike in the shot, but the problem is that it can no longer stand on its own. I lost the thing it could stand on one night when I had too much beer :o

rawpaw18
06-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks Rich.
The leaf is not as big as it seems. It is a bit distorted due to the wide angle. I would have loved to put my bike in the shot, but the problem is that it can no longer stand on its own. I lost the thing it could stand on one night when I had too much beer :o

You can not tease me with a story like that. Do you know where it is, was it surgically removed, how much do you remember, are you in a witness protection program? Details details, if it is that good of a story pm me.

tcadwall
06-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Hey thanks for posting that tutorial... You make it sound easy... here I am with multiple photos that I have taken bracketted, but haven't gotten around to download any HDR software yet! But now maybe I will.

herc182
06-26-2007, 01:02 AM
I only ever used three shots but never used a tripod...think thats key (unless you have a damn steady hand in which case be a doctor....!)

Will read the tutorial with interest.

Excellent work

Prospero
06-26-2007, 05:44 AM
I didn't use a tripod either. In the second part of the tutorial I explained how to do the aligning with PTGui. In that way you don't really need a tripod (unless you use too long shutterspeeds).