PDA

View Full Version : Canon XTI Packages?

nutsnbolts
06-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok, I can't say I know what I'm doing but I pretty much know what I want to purchase, a Canon XTI.

Looking around the online and retail stores, the price ranges (for kits) around 800-1000. That is just camera and A lens.

A friend of mine did purchase a Canon XT about a year ago and suggested I should purchase mine on eBAY.

Of course, after perusing eBay, the packages they have there are unbelieveable. They range from 2 to 3 lenses, carrying case, etc. in different combinations and price varying but are competitive to the online and retail store but are offering lots lots more.

The question is, some packages offer 2 to 3 additional lenses and I noticed some packages are cheaper with Sigma lenses, then Tamron lenses, and Canon lenses, are the Canon lenses the best suggestion to go with the packages?

In addition, there are some packages that includes flashes and I'm wondering if they are even worth including in the package or find a more less expensive package without one and buy it seperately.

Can someone offer some advice as to what packages are worth the purchase or what they offer is worthwhile on Ebay?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oh, lastly, my budget for these packages or in general is around $1000.

coldrain
06-25-2007, 01:41 AM
I would not get an"ebay package" ever.
Why not? Because without fail they include old stock lenses that they can not sell otherwise, cheap film era lenses that do not perform all that great, especially noticable on a digital SLR.
And on top of that, they include cheap filter packages which will induce reflections when used, maybe a camera bag you would never choose when choosing a camera bag, and other dodgy items...

If you do not know what you want/need yet, then just buy the camera body with one or two reasonably good lenses. Then you will figure out what you want/need more, when you get accustomed to your new camera.

Alex D80
06-25-2007, 09:05 PM
I just purchased my camera 3 weeks ago from www.bhphotovideo.com and I can't tell you how happy I am with my purchase and how fast they shipped. My friend bought his camera from www.beachcamera.com and he had a great result as well. Watch out since there are many companies out there that will take your info/credit card and not ship anything. Go to BizRate.com to check them out.

Make sure you try the XTi on a local store before purchasing online. Have a feel of the camera, the weight, the built. Make sure that is what you want. XTi is a great camera. The 18-55 with a Lexar 2GB 133x goes for $750-800 at BHPhotoVideo.com; depending on black or silver body. Make sure you get the 50mm f1.8 for about $70; great little lens for indoor/portrait/party type shots.

Good luck and enjoy.

nutsnbolts
06-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks you for the responses. Although each is entitled to their own opinion, I have recieved responses where they stated good things on eBay. Of course, along with the warning of dodgy items. I guess my point with posting this forum is specifically just to ask whether there are packages out there on ebay that is worthwhile.

Obviously, the most important are the camera body and the lenses they provide. For roughly the same prices they offer on bhphoto or beachcamera or something similar, they throw in the rest of the dodgy items like the flash, cases, etc. for at least to hold me over.

As far as the camera and lenses, a canon lens and a sigma lens and a tamron lens is a canon, tamron and sigma lens. I mean how sketchy can they be. Of course the other items like filter, bag, maybe even the flash, of course will be junk but it's something at least for a newb like me have something to gauge with on future upgrade purchases.

Lastly, look at it this way (breakdown):

Online site (BHPhoto, beachcamera, etc.)
1. Camera body or kit ($600-800)
2. Memory 2gig or more ($100-150)
3. Other lense (~$400?)
4. Bag, flash, etc. other accessories (~$300) based on flash cost I have seen.

Already I'm looking at approximately $1300+ for everything. Yes it's quality items if I went this route.

On the other hand...The best I have seen.

Ebay (different kits)

1. Camera body
2. 2 additional canon lense (or tamron or sigma)
3. Memory (4 gig Sandisk extreme)
4. Steel case (something like that)
5. Flash
6. Carry bag
7. Tripod
8. Pocket
9. other junk..

~1000+

Obviously, the only one I'm concerned about is 1, 2, 3 for ebay.

Any other opinions?