View Full Version : Does anyone know how to achieve this effect?

06-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd really like some help if someone knows how to do the scratched negative effect like the image on this link.


06-24-2007, 11:57 PM
Looks to me like they photoshopped a picture of a bit of old dirty glass onto the image. Looks to realistic for any effects to do the same job in my opinion.

06-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Computer postprocessing I guess...

06-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Computer postprocessing I guess...
Gee, thanks! That was enlightening.

The technique reminds me of Joel-Peter Witkin's work.
I'd love any tips anyone could give to help me out.

Thanks again Pave, I'll be sure to get softwares for post processing.

06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
I would think the effect is done by using a custom brush or an overlay of a photo. You can either download brushes, or make your own. To make your own you'll need to create it from scratch. For that kind of effect you'd probably take it from a photo, just like someone else said, it's too realistic looking. I don't know what you'd take a picture from. Streaks of very thin paint on a glass, leaving empty spots, etc?

After you turn it into a brush, choose the color you'd want it, and in a new layer stamp the brush on. To get the desired look you can change the layer mode to screen, overlay, etc.

Hope that helps....

06-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Check www.vanderlee.com
They sell a plugin filter for Photoshop which gives an old scratched movie look to a picture. Dust, hairs, scratches. My guess is this is how that photo was created.

06-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Fifteen minutes of fooling around with PaintShop Pro...just experiment...and see what happens...