PDA

View Full Version : Canon S3 vs. Fuji S6000

metalliholic07
06-24-2007, 05:23 PM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
$300- $400, but preferably $350 max, including a little memory

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
Size matters a little, of course, but I have a little Fuji A340 that can fit in my pocket, but a recent experience at a concert was very disappoining as far as pictures go, so my main concern is a good picture.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
6 or more

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
I'd say Ultrazoom

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
Pretty important, so I'd say 10, no less than 9

Do you care for manual controls?
Not really sure........don't have anything to base a decision like that on.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
Just general use most of the time. Catch a shot of my cat when it's doing something funny, a cool cloud formation, pictures at a car show, etc. BUT, the one thing that is important is being able to take some good shots whenever I have front row(or really close) at a concert, especially when they don't allow flash, like recently when I was at a show in a small club, and was never more than 3 feet from a very reknowned guitar player, and couldn't get a nice crisp shot from my A340

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
No bigger than 8x10

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Well, not a ton, but like I said, when I'm at a concert that doesn't allow flash, I want a camera that can compensate for that.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Not sports, but I want the camera to be able to handle some movement, to some degree. Again, at concerts, I might take a shot of the guitar player, and he may not be standing still. I want to able to take some action shots, yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
My wife has a Fuji Finepix S7000, and I like it. I've had good luck with Canon a loooooong time ago.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
Well, I have it down to either the Canon S3 IS, or the Fuji S6000, but am open to suggestions.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
The wide angle sounds neat, but not necessary. IS sounds really cool, but some reading I've done here leads me to believe that ISO is more important, but please correct me if I'm wrong. I like the rotating LCD idea, but again, not absolutely necessary.

In summary(and this is repetitive).......I just want good picture quality in all around use........not like I'm working for National Geographic(good reference I saw here lol), but just good pictures, and ESPECIALLY when I have up front seats at a concert, with limited lighting, and some movement. Thanks in advance!!!!

bascom
06-25-2007, 01:34 PM
The S6000 is probably best but it's a big one to lug to a concert.

metalliholic07
06-25-2007, 07:15 PM
The S6000 is probably best but it's a big one to lug to a concert.

My wife has the S7000, and yes, it is kind of big, but is the Canon that much smaller? Would I still get good pics from the S3?

tim11
06-26-2007, 05:23 AM
I got some good concert shots with FZ20 so I can't see why you can't do the same with S3 IS which is more advanced and has cleaner image quality.
You will have higher success rate with the Fuji though for concert shots.