PDA

View Full Version : Fuji S5700/s700 or Canon A570IS

b.iyer
06-24-2007, 12:36 AM
I am looking for a camera to learn photography.Here in india the fuji s5700(s700 in US) costs Rs.13000(325$ approx) while a570is(400$ approx) costs Rs.16000.I basically need a camera that my family can use while i can also learn photography with it.So manual controls are a must.

Is purple fringing on the s5700 really bad? And how does the camera perform in bright outdoors?

Is the IQ of canon a570is better?

I have been through Photos form the s700 thread and i found the pics posted by Sarah and others to be great.

speaklightly
06-24-2007, 06:11 AM
b.iyer-

Please take a look at Jeff Keller's review of the S-5700/S-700. It can be found right on this website. The S-5700 is a great value camera. It is a wonderful family or enthusiast camera. It is capable of excellent photos if you use reasonable care when taking your photos.

It does not have IS, so the camera must be held rock stedy when taking your photos However, it is an easy camera to use. If IS is something that you must have then, please take a look at the new Kodak Z-712. It is also an ultra zoom and costs a bit more.

Sarah Joyce

b.iyer
06-24-2007, 09:44 AM
hi Sarah i did read the review and i feel positive about it. but what i actually wanted to know is that does the a570is have better IQ that fuji S700 for the same shots??

i havent heard good things about the kodaks atleast the fuji s700 has decent low light(for indoor) performance.

i am worried about thew fuji's tendency to blow highlights and purple fringing .is the problem really severe as they make out too (i have read nasty things in other forums)since i would be taking lots of shots in very bright outdoors. also i did conider other options like panasonic fz8 and the s3is but they really expensive here around 600$ equivalent and my father wont give me that much.

speaklightly
06-24-2007, 05:29 PM
b.iyer-

Yes, the Fuji S-5700 is certainly as capable of IQ just as good as the A-570IS. providing that you are not leaning on the IS feature to dampen you body movements. Taking good photos is a learned procedure. If you can keep the camera motionless, the photos will certainly be comparable . As far as a low light environment is concern, the S-5700 is realistically limited to ISO 800 and below. If you are willing to use noise reduction software, you can go to ISO 1600. But the S-5700 uses a very conventional Sony branded imager, not Fuji's own High ISO compatible imagers.

Sarah Joyce