PDA

View Full Version : Glad I found this forum...what camera to get?

Aaron Silidker
06-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello all, I leave in a week and a half for an 8 week around the world journey and in typical last minute college procrastinator fashion, I have decided to purchase a dSLR before my trip to better capture the adventure.

Here are the answers to the requisite questions as well as an overview of what I need below

Budget

700 dollars with gorillapod, extra battery, and tons of memory cards (no PC or storage device on trip with me)

Size

Small and portable, like a D50, D40, etc

Features

6 megapixels should be nore than enough

Standard kit lense will probably be fine for most situations, telephoto will come on trip with me if I can afford it

Do you care for manual controls?[/B
I guess it would be nice to have some if possible so I can learn complex image control

[B]General Usage

My travels in south east asia for 8 weeks, then at home at my new job
No huge prints
Possible indoor and low light, but nothing extreme, any party shots (as college students have :) ) will be taken with the poor point and shoot
Sports for sure, I am hugely into motocross

Miscellaneous
I have no brand preference but I would prefer SD memory card since I already have them and equipment for them

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

D50 (used), D40, XT, XTi
(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
Stabilization would be a plus, but not necessary, weatherproof would be nice considering the nature of the trip. If there is a relatively inexpensive underwater housing available that can go diving that is a HUGE advantage because the trip will have diving on it

And now we get to my part to explain where I am at. I found a lightly used D50 locally with extra battery, 1 gig card, remote, great shape for 380 bucks with the stock kit lense. GREAT deal if it wasnt for the warranty being up. Now this is not a problem if you all tell me this is an ultra reliable camera and then that is the one I will purchase since it leaves me room budget wise for accessories. Buttttt the lack of a warranty freaks me out.

I can get a new D40 kit for the low 5's as I am sure you all know, so that is another option, but the lack of lense support doesnt make me happy and the fact that it does not have an anti dusting feature like the Canon.

Are there any Canons in the D40 price range with lense auto clean that I would like? I need an extra battery so that needs to be factored into the price. I could swallow the fact that I would need to buy CF cards if the camera is really that much better than the used D50 listed above or a new D40.

Anyhow, let me know asap please, I need to have this camera purchased either locally or through a vendor soon.

Thanks all!

coldrain
06-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Normally cameras do not break. Until their shutters or mirror assembly decide enough is enough. I think the D50 can go upto about 50000 photos until the shutter might fail, so unless this D50 has seen a LOT of action, you should not worry too much.

In a way, a new camera is a bigger gamble just before your trip, as "faulty" cameras tend to break when they are new.

If the camera breaks during your trip, you have a problem anyway, whether it is with or without warranty.

I prefer the D50 over the D40, the D40 misses a lot of features which includes the 3rd party lens excluding missing internal motor.
I prefer the XTi over the D50, but that camera will be over your current budget.

So, for that price, I'd go for the D50 if it has not too much milage on it.

Aaron Silidker
06-23-2007, 02:52 PM
Ended up with the XTi. Found a very good deal on one locally at a camera shop and the feature set makes much more sense than any of the Nikon cameras, especially the D40/x.

The Sony/Olympus were close actually after we looked at a ton of cameras because of the stabilization built in, but I guess it is not effective at all in big lenses where the Canon is very effective when it is built into their big lenses.