PDA

View Full Version : Which Camera Sony 100/Nikon D40x?

emhg89@aol.com
06-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Looking to upgrading from my Sony 717 5 meg. to a 10 meg.
I have looked at the Sony Alpha and the Nikon D40x. I would purchase body with a lens of 18-200. I like the lightness of the Nikon as well as the menu display visually. Or should I go with a Nikon D80 with a lens of 18-135?
I keep hearing that the Sony is such a good value because the insides of the Nikon is Sony?

coldrain
06-23-2007, 07:54 AM
The Nikon D40X misses a lot of features other DSLRs have.
It only has a 3 AF sensor system, misses exposure bracketing, misses a depth of field button, misses mirror lock up, misses buttons to white balance and ISO settings (very cumbersome), and does not have a real RAW converor standard.
Above all that it also misses the Nikon standard internal AF motor, which means you can exclude most 3rd party lenses, and most prime lenses.

The Sony A100 has of course in-body IS which works surprisingly well, and it does have all those features the D40X misses.

Another 10mp DSLR worth to check out is the Canon XTi/400D, which again has a lot more features than the Nikon D40X, and is the same size and weight as the D40X.

The D80 is a nice 10mp camera also, but is the most expensive of the bunch.

The Sigma 18-200mm lens is preferrable over the Tamron 18-200mm. The Tamron 18-250mm lens is surprisingly good for a lens of such a big range, and is also worth a look.
The Nikon 18-200 VR is a lot more expensive, and hard to get, but offers IS on the D80. The Sony A100 offers IS on any 18-200 or tamron 18-250.
For the XTi/400D to have IS you will have to find the Sigma 18-200 OS. I think it has been released, but I am not sure.

fionndruinne
06-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd get the D40 over the D40x. For the price, the D40 is a great deal, and a fast, responsive and high-quality camera, and its shortcomings can be worked around rather easily (don't let the anti-D40 crowd talk you completely out of it, some of what coldrain says is not quite true). But when it comes to the D40x, it's simply not a good enough deal right now (maybe once it goes down in price). It's about the same cost as the Canon XTi, and the latter is a better choice inside of that price range. The Sony is nice, as well, although less of a performer with high ISOs than either the Nikon or the Canon. Also you might take a look at the Pentax K10D, which is packed with features - even the new Olympus E-410 is worth consideration, although I don't know much about it.

cgl88
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Get the sony a100. I got one and couldn't be happier. Color richness is very good, and the anti-shake is a gem. I've taken indoor and night shots at 1/10s or less and they come out brilliantly at ISO400.

The D40x is a step up from D40 but if you consider d40x, might as well get a sony. The D40 has the price going for it so if you don't want to spend as much, get the D40.

The Sony + 18-200 should cover most of your needs and in effect you end up saving more money than if u went for the nikon solution.