PDA

View Full Version : Replace the Sony Cybershot W80?

r.matey
06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I purchased the Sony Cybershot W80 last week, on the basis of its fast shooting action. I've since played with it a bit at home, and I'm not totally satisfied with the results. I tried to get a few pictures of my new sofa, which is dark brown, in a room with burgundy walls, in the early evening -- so fairly low light conditions. All of the pictures, flash or not, came out looking pretty pixel-y (I'm not sure if it's noise or noise correction, but either way the colors don't look right -- it's all patchy). I was looking at them on my computer screen at 25-100% resolution (after having taken the pictures at the camera's highest possible resolution). I haven't tried having any of them printed. I read the review of the W80 here and it seems to not be a great low-light performer. So, I'm wondering if this is a case of a) the scene being impossible to photograph sharply with a camera in my price range [tricky colors to capture?], b) me not using the camera correctly to get a sharp shot [keeping in mind that I'm not a tripod person], or if I should c) look at other cameras. To which end, my survey:

Budget
I'd like to stay under $400 *including* a 1gig or higher memory card -- and I'd love to come in under that. I'd like to keep the camera for years, so I am willing to put a little more in now if it means I'll be happier longer.

Size
I'd like something small. Ultracompact isn't the most important consideration, but I want to be able to tote it around in a smallish purse. I currently have a Canon Powershot A60 from 2003. I wouldn't want anything bigger; something smaller would be better, but I would list that as a secondary priority to performance wants.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
? I admittedly don't have a good feel for what difference it makes. I primarily look at the pictures in large resolution on the computer, and print 4x6s.

What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
Standard. Ultra-zoom would be nice, but isn't a requirement.

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
8.5 At the end of the day I want nice-looking pictures -- and having noise (or excessive blurring/pixelation/whatever from noise reduction) or really muddy pictures drives me up the wall.

Do you care for manual controls?
I would like to get to the point where I'm good with them (I'm willing to put in some time to learn the camera), but it's important that the camera can do its thing automatically too.

General Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
Candid family shots, largely indoors. Extra points to any camera that can take indoor handheld shots without a flash, because my mom's incapable of keeping her eyes open for any pictures with a flash. Outdoor stuff too -- lots of horse shows in the summer, so sports-type performance is important too -- I want something that's quick to focus and quick to actually snap the picture. And the biggie: I'm taking a three week dream trip to Peru this September. I want something I can take around with me everywhere, that's going to take good photos anywhere from inside a dark hut to overlooking Machu Picchu.

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
Not as a general rule. It'd be nice to have the option, but it's not necessary. I do like them to look good on the computer, though, since that's where I mostly look at them.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Yes. Horses, kids, and pets.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
I've been happy with my Canon (first and only digital camera I've had), but I'm open to anything.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
Like I said above, I have the Sony Cybershot W80 right now, and haven't been totally satisfied with the pictures it's taken so far in my living room. I looked at reviews of the Fuji S6000, but I'm worried it's a little too big for my purposes; I may end up not taking it places because of its size. I also originally didn't like that it takes AAs because I thought the new proprietary battery lives were a lot longer -- but is that the case with the NiMH rechargeables, or are they comparable? Would the Fuji FunPix F30 suit my needs? Fujis seem to be the winner in the low-light world, but I do want something that's going to look good with outdoor shots too. All the variables are so overwhelming.

No special features needed.

Thank you so much for any advice!

bical
06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Canon A710 IS ?

LeandroMP-
06-23-2007, 01:58 AM
My english sucks but for what i understand.. you should buy the canon SD750. I didnt know which one of this 2 buy (sony w80 or this canon), but i think i'll will the canon. i've reading really good reviews of the camera and i think its better then this sony cybershot.

Sorry for my bad english. :(

EDIT: Maybe the SONY N2. My friend has it and its a really good camera... and for good i mean REALLY GOOD!!!.. camera.