PDA

View Full Version : Pentax K-100D, can I use my lenses??

GailE
06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi again! I have an old Pentax K1000 film 35mm camera and 3 Albinar lenses that I used on it. It is probably about 15 years old, but has been a great camera. Anyway, would you know if I got the K-100D if the lenses would work on it? I asked two different camera people on the phone and in a store and one said it would work but he would not recommend it as it would loose "something", sorry I can't remember what he called it. The girl in the store said yes it would be fine. Help anyone?
Also, I am considering the p&s Canon Powershot S5 which is higher mega pixels. With it not dealing with lenses would it still take as good of shots do you think, close-ups, landscape, animals, people, just about anything that catches my eye. I am pretty new at this since the other Pentax was a film camera. And how about sunsets, etc?
Any help would be great as I am really confused now. :confused:Thanks!
Gail

speaklightly
06-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Gail-

Yes, you will probably be able to us those very same lenses on the new Pentax K-100 DSLR camera, as long as they are K style bayonet lenses. You can also use the old screw on lenses as well but you would have to buy an adapter to use them'

They lenses will probably not auto focus, nor will they offer you auto exposure because they probably do have electrical contacts on those lenses. However, the procedure to use them is rather simple. I am not familiar with Albinar lenses so all I can do is to make an educated guess.

If you wanted autofocus and auto exposure lenses, purchase the K-100 kit with the Pentax 18-55mm lens (a very good lens, by the way) and the Pentax 50-200mm lens, and receive a $(US)150.00 from Pentax.

Sarah Joyce

SpecialK
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
The other half of the answer is...no, the S3/S5 will not offer the same image quality as a DSLR. And, though the S5 has a nice long end to the lens, it does not go very wide, and optional conversion lenses are not so hot. And the low light perfomance of the K100D will be much better.

However, I will be getting a S3 (don't need hotshoe, extra MP, and don't know about the D3 processor) shortly to replace my focal-length stunted A620, which otherwise is fine. The rotating LCD is a big plus for candid people shots.

speaklightly
06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I was just attempting to answer the OP's question about the lenses that she still had from her old Pentax K-1000, a film camera.

Sarah Joyce

GailE
06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Thank you very much for you help. This site is great!:D
Gail