PDA

View Full Version : Sony A100 Vs Canon 400d? Vs Olympos E500

ras81
06-21-2007, 07:34 AM
hi

can u help chose 1 of these cameras or any other cam at the same price range?

thanks

photowire
06-21-2007, 08:00 AM
hi

can u help chose 1 of these cameras or any other cam at the same price range?

thanks

CANON!!!!!!!

speaklightly
06-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Ras-

Actually the decision seems to first revolve around two factors.

(1) Do you want the camera's IS system to be housed in the body, so that you get IS with every lens that you use on the camera. OR Do you want the IS feature, if that is important to you, housed in each individual lens? I have used both and they are very close in performance, with the "in lens" system perhaps having a tiny bit of an advantage.

(2) Lowlight level environment shooting: In the past (for example, the Oly E-
300 and E-500) Oly did not have really stellar high ISO performance, while Canon was the High ISO/lowlight level champ.

So closely examine what kind of photos that you like to take and how these two factors (there will be more factors to consider as you move toward the decision) play into the photos that you normally take.

A-100=body mounted IS
E-510=body mounted IS
E-500= no IS at all!
XTI=lens mounted IS

Sarah Joyce

cgl88
06-28-2007, 08:08 AM
What will you be taking pictures of, most of the time?

Get a Sony a100 if you want to make use of IS and don't want to pay a premium like u would with canon. If you like shooting low light on low iso for very good image color detail, get sony.

Get a Canon if you shoot low light but subjects move so you need higher ISO. Get Canon if you shoot high-speed sports as I hear the camera focuses faster.

I don't know much about oly except that the package deal should cover all grounds (lens-wise).

I spent a year researching on dSLRs. In the end, any camera really would work. Once you get it you'd have to learn to love it or the pictures will hate you!

coldrain
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Only get a Sony A100 if you are sure the lenses are good. There are not many super lenses for Sony, it is nice of cgl88 to point out the "price premium" for certain Canon lenses, fact is though that there are no alternatives to these lenses quality wise for a Sony.

So... first determine what you expect from lenses. Then choose a body to match the lenses you want.

cgl88
06-28-2007, 09:53 AM
Only get a Sony A100 if you are sure the lenses are good. There are not many super lenses for Sony, it is nice of cgl88 to point out the "price premium" for certain Canon lenses, fact is though that there are no alternatives to these lenses quality wise for a Sony.

So... first determine what you expect from lenses. Then choose a body to match the lenses you want.

Well, the Sony lenses are very good..but also very expensive! That said, if a consumer is willing to do the extra work to buy a second hand lens, he can save quite a lot of money.

Example: KM 28-75 f/2.8 is $300. That is a sweet lens to have. The Sony comparable is the CZ 16-80 but that lens is about $750.