PDA

View Full Version : Best image quality please!!

steve_y
06-18-2007, 07:54 AM
hi...i really have exausted every other avenue before post here...its getting depressing going into camera stores and knowing loads more than the salesperson just cause ive read a couple of reviews on this site and others like it...

Basically i want a camera to fit into my pocket but i also want the images to be of the best possible quality for something of that size.

I am willing to pay more, but it seems from the reviews on here that you cant go past the fuji f30 for image quality even though its only about 130. Is this right or is it just being compared to cameras at a similar price?

Are there compacts that take superior quality images to the f30 if im willing to spend more? Lets cap it at 350.00 but i'd like to hear of something that is amazing and not a dslr. What about more expensive brands like leica? or are they just rebranded panasonics (which dont seem to get great reviews for image quality).

In summary what is the best compact for image quality b4 moving up to DSLR.

Thanks!!!

Steve
thanks,

steve..

speaklightly
06-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Steve-

The fuji F series camera are low light marvels and they cannot be beaten in the area of low light level photography. Sony has been doing a bit better lately in the low light level arena Their W-200 (12mp) is the top the line under the Sony Brand name in small pocket size cameras. Take a look and see how it seems.

Sarah Joyce

steve_y
06-19-2007, 05:19 AM
thanks sarah

i think i 'll go for the f30. might be a good one to learn a few things on with its manual functions...

s

David Metsky
06-19-2007, 05:41 AM
While the Fuji F30 is great in low light, the photos seem to show that in bright light they aren't as good as other brands, such as Canon. What is more important to you?

steve_y
06-19-2007, 08:00 AM
hi david,

i noticed that the colours seem a bit duller in bright lighting than other makes. thats a tough question though david, cause while living in london theres plenty of opportunity for low lighting shots...i'd like something that was competent in sunnier climes too. is there a good comprimise?

LeandroMP-
06-19-2007, 09:06 AM
The SONY N2 has a really great quality.. 350 dollars, touch screen but is not really small..

speaklightly
06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I just took a quick photo outdoors with my Fuji F-40fd to give you a photo example of how it handles outdoor color. I think it looks pretty good.

Sarah Joyce

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/ORgal/A-44FujiF-40fdSamleOutdoors061907.jpg

steve_y
06-19-2007, 10:36 AM
thanks sarah.....seems like not so much of a compromise after all!!!

im sold........that is until someone posts another option:).....nope im just going to buy it and be done.....thanks again!!

ps...i wish it looked like that just outside my flat:)

speaklightly
06-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Hi Steve-

I am happy that the F-40fd photo helped. I think that the F-40fd does quite well out of doors. I purchased my camera at www.amazon.com where the price was average, but had a 30 day return priviledge without any restock fee.

Yes, we live along the Oregon Coast and it is a beautiful environment.

Sarah Joyce

steve_y
06-19-2007, 10:58 AM
one last question before i buy....i was going to get the f30 over the f31d cause this site says the price difference would not be worth the face detection thing.....i can actually find the f31 cheaper than the f30 now....so i should just go for the f31d cause they are identical right?

speaklightly
06-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Steve-

That is a personal call. I have the F-40 with face detection, and I like it a lot.

Sarah Joyce