PDA

View Full Version : Which camera would you recommend?

narcohds
06-17-2007, 07:03 PM
Budget
* max $300

Size
I already have a Nikon D70, so I am looking for something smaller to carry with me on an everyday basis, but that will get good quality photos.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 6+

What optical zoom will you need? 4x +

How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 10--very important

Do you care for manual controls? yes--but I have a husband who is not as camera savvy as me.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
I do some semi-pro photography on the side with my D70, but I am a high school teacher primarily. I take a lot of photos at school of my students, at home of my family, etc, etc. I love my D70, but don't want to keep it in my car/ classroom. (aside from the fact that it is supposed to only be for photo work.)

Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? I don't have any plans to print larger than 8x10's.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
With my school photos, in addition to classroom shots, I attend football games, prom, award banquets, etc. Otherwise, I shoot the standard family functions, etc.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
This is where I would use my D70, but high school students and family members can move rather quickly. :)

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
I have used Nikon all my life, though, I've had a couple of Olympus p&s. My father is/ has been a professional photographer for the past forty plus years and he used Nikon almost exclusively until four months ago when he switched to Canon. I would like to stay between the two since I am already familiar with the companies/ products.
About six months ago I purchased a Nikon Coolpix L5. Most of my pictures have been blurry or the camera wouldn't shoot because it was in low light, even though the flash was supposed to be on. I have read the instruction manual backwards and forwards. I have tried resetting the functions, lowering the magapixels, etc. I have never had a problem with a camera, so I am frustrated. I am not trying to say anything negative against Nikon, I love my D70, but I give up with Coolpix L5.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
Canon 710IS, Canon A640, Canon A630, ???? etc. Each has nice functions, but with so many options, I need some assistance narrowing down or finding my best bet.

Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
IS would be a very nice feature for those times I would like to be in the photo and a family member or student is shooting for me. I would also like a camera that resets for the next photo quickly and shoots in low light. (My D70 has really spoiled me.)

My husband and I are planning a vacation soon, and I would rather not travel with my D70. Thank you very much for any help you can offer.

SpecialK
06-17-2007, 07:17 PM
The Canon A710 IS may fit the bill with IS and a 6X zoom. The A630/A640 do not have IS but do have the handy rotating LCD, but less zoom range. The A640 is not worth the extra $ over the A630.

speaklightly
06-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Surely the Canon A-710IS will serve you well and provide great photos. However, the Canon A-710IS may well become limited by the amount necessary to record viable images. That is where a more high ISO capable camera may be required for those low level or ultra low light level photos. It that point where the photo environment will not have enough light available for good A-710IS images. That second camera may very well be one of the Fuji F-series cameras. with their low light level capabilities.

In the final analysis, the two cameras would compliment each other with their individual photo capabilities.

Sarah Joyce