PDA

View Full Version : Fuji S700 vs. Sony H2

Tacoma
06-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Hello,

I just purchased a Sony H2 at a closeout price, box is still unopened. Today while shopping I saw the Fuji S700 for $50 less including a $20 rebate from BJ's. I just finished viewing the Fuji S700 threads in this forum and looking at the pictures and I am very impressed.

The camera will be used by my son who is interested in taking all types of pictures--telephoto nature/action/macros etc. He is not an experienced photographer and I am concerned that the Fuji may be more difficult to use.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Tacoma

speaklightly
06-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Hello Tacoma-

The learning curve on the Sony H-2 and the Fuji S-700 are about the same. If IS is a must with your son, or if you are willing to spend a little extra $$ for the convenience of IS, then the H-2 is the better choice.

If your son can hold a camera very steady when releasing the shutter, the Fuji S-700 is a great camera and you will end up saving some $$.

The choice is completely yours. As you can see from the Fuji S-700/S-5700 Photo thread in the Fuji folder, it is not very difficult to hold the S-700 very steady while releasing the shutter.

I was the person who began the Fuji S-700 Photos thread and the poster of a lot of those photos. I will attach a photo sample from the Fuji S-700 to this post so you can see the kind of photos the S-700 is capable of taking.

Sarah Joyce

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/ORgal/A-1PhilBRK061207S-700-1.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Tacoma
06-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Sarah and thanks for your response. Can you tell me if the S700 will accept optional add on lens like the Sony H series cameras? I think the built in telephoto will be "OK" for a while but my son is also very interested in macros and probably would like some sort of macro lens.

Thanks

csfoong
06-18-2007, 04:07 AM
Tacoma,

I have been looking for macro and wide angle add on lenses for the S700 and there are 2 types which are available. These are usually in a combo (2 together).

There's one which has the same thread size as the camera (46mm) while the other type come with a step up ring as its larger. The latter may be more cumbersome as you first need to screw in the adapter and then the lens but you can use it for other lenses too (should you change cameras one day) - just change the adaptor.

CSFoong

speaklightly
06-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Tacoma-

The S-700 camera has both regular macro and super macro modes bult into the camera, it can focus down to 0.4 inches. Thus the S-700 is able, without an further attachments to photograph an insect such as a fly or a bee perched on a flower blossom and show a great amount of fine detail within the insect.

In addition, by adding a simple screw on close up lens (they are inexpensive and available in sets with up to four lenses) the S-700 is able to photograph portions of an insect, such as a fly's eye and the like with unusual sharpness and detail.

Sarah Joyce

bascom
06-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Here are some spec differences:

H2
---
bigger zoom range at wide and tele end
IS
high speed download

S700
-----
bigger LCD
slightly smaller and lighter
uses SD or xD
dual flash mode
zoom controller in front
may be better at high ISO?

speaklightly
06-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Tacoma-

Because sample photos have much greater impact, I am posting two photo samples taken from our "Fuji S-700 Photo Gallery" posted in the Fuji Folder. These wonderful photos were taken by our group member, dogsmoke who lives in the UK.

Sarah

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/ORgal/A-4StevesBeePhoto061807S-700.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/ORgal/A-5StevesBeePhotoB061807S-700.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Jonathan Gingerich
06-18-2007, 03:44 PM
No diopter on the S700 EVF? OUCH!!!

JG

speaklightly
06-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Jonathan-

Please realize that this an entry livel ultrazoom camera. It offer a whole lot of excellent features as well as fully manual controls and 7.1mp and 10X optical zoom, with an excellent lens. For a camera selling right near the $(US) 200.00level you could hardly expect a diopter adjustment!

I wear glasses and have no trouble at all with the Fuji S-5700/S-700 camera. Honestly, it is absolutely the biggest bang for the buck in the highly crowded ultrazoom field.

Sarah Joyce

Jonathan Gingerich
06-18-2007, 07:52 PM
So what are you saying, Sarah? It's intended for the young - impecunious but well sighted?

Diopters are not expensive and it has nothing to do with glasses, but rather with presbyopia. To many of us, it makes the S700 an instant loser compared to the Canon's or Panasonics.

JG

speaklightly
06-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Please Cool Your Jets, Jonathan-

I am not saving anything about age. I am just saying that a diopter adjustment is not something that you find on entry level camera. I just picked up a Sony W-55 and it dos not have a diopter adjustment either.

I am 74 years young and wear glasses. I have no trouble at all using the Fuji S-700's EVF. I really don't appreciate your post! This a fiendly exchange, and I don't enjoy getting flamed by you! I expect an apology from you, like any gentleman would be willing to give to a lady. Are you a gentleman or did I get things mixed up?

Sarah Joyce

Jonathan Gingerich
06-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Sorry Sarah, no offense intended. Jeff finally reviewed this camera, and I was genuinely stunned to find Fuji hadn't bothered with a diopter.

I don't know of an EVF without one. Optical viewfinders rarely have them, and many cameras don't even bother with optical viewfinders any more. The Sony W-55 may be an entry-level camera, but it is not an entry-level ultrazoom.

All cameras have limitations, of course, but this cannot be "the biggest bang for the buck" for me or others, simply because Fuji decided to skimp here.

JG

speaklightly
06-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Good Morning Jonathan-

Thank you for your apology. Not always needing a diopter adjustment myself, I guess that I too, am somewhat at fault, as I had not moved it up very high on my own personal "Priority List."

Drop by the Fuji Folder on this website and click on the "Fuji S-700 Photos" thread. You can take a look at a selection of wonderful photos taken by the Fuji S-700.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

John_Reed
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Jonathan's post didn't seem all that "flamish" to me, but it's wonderful that you two see eye to eye, without diopter adjustments!

But frankly, I'll bet that most older people (yourself perhaps excepted) would have trouble holding the un-stabilized S700 steadily enough to get a decent shot, especially at long zoom in any kind of light, or in low light at any zoom level. Years ago, when Panasonic set forth to market their "new" OIS cameras to the world, they were specifically thinking that older men would be their primary market, because we old guys tend to shake, pure and simple. So for me (I'm only 67), if I was faced with a choice between the H2 and the S700, without question I'd go for the H2, just because of its stabilizer. I will never again buy a camera without one.

speaklightly
06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Good Morning, John, my friend-

Yes, there is no doubt that IS is a valuable assist, especially so, to folks who might shake a bit when they have their camera out to its maximum zoom capability.

However, there are within the camera user group, those who cannot spend much more than the $(US) 200.00 price point of the Fuji S-700/S-5700 camera to get started in photography.

There is no doubt that we will see more and more IS assisted cameras come to the camera market soon. Fuji has not moved to IS equipped cameras because they lost a lawsuit with Canon some years ago, and they were barred from using IS for, I believe, it is 3 or 4 years. So I would expect the second generation S-700 will most probably feature an IS assist.

You know me, I always like to help the newbies get started, and it appears that the S-700 is drawing many new folks either to their initial experience in photography, or the folks who are moving up from the typical 3X optical zoom point & shoot cameras. We have a lot of posting and activity on our S-700 thread in the Fuji Folder.

Have a great day, John.

Sarah Joyce

Visual Reality
06-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Check the front page. There is now a review posted of the S700.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=1008

The gist of it:

What I liked:
Very good photo quality, low noise through ISO 400 (though see issues below)
Good value for the money
10X optical zoom in a solid, well-designed body
Gorgeous 2.5" LCD display has high resolution and fluid frame rate; good indoor/outdoor visibility
AF-assist lamp, good (but slow) low light focusing
Dual xD/SD memory card slot
Full manual controls
VGA movie mode with zoom and digital image stabilization
Battery life is well above average; uses AA batteries

What I didn't care for:
Some corner blurriness, blown highlights, and purple fringing
Redeye a problem
Lens is slow at the wide-angle end
Disappointing continuous shooting modes
Sluggish shot-to-shot and image playback speeds
Poorly implemented manual focus feature
Electronic viewfinder is small, lacks diopter correction
Plastic tripod mount
No USB 2.0 High Speed support

Tacoma
06-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Thank you all for your input. I thought it best to let my son make the final decision as it will be his camera. Besides the Sony H2 and Fuji S700, we also considered the Fuji 6000FD as the 6000 is at the same price point with the $50 rebate as the H2. My son ultimately chose the H2, primarily because of the IS. His limited experience with cameras have been with Sony's with IS which he felt was important. I was hoping he would go for the 6000FD as it is D-SLR like and I never really liked the auto zoom rocker switch on my camera but again, it will be his camera and I think the H2 will make a very good first camera.

Tacoma