PDA

View Full Version : Canon SD800IS or Canon SD1000?? Help please!

newporpm
06-16-2007, 07:16 PM
I actually just bought the SD800IS - I got it at Circuity City for $309, but if there's not that much difference b/w the two, and if the image stabilization isn't really a necessity, I may take it back and exchange for the SD1000 since it's quite a bit cheaper. Looking for advice - thanks so much!

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

$200-$300 give or take a few
Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
compact to ultra-compact
Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 6

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) standard is fine

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)very important, probably a 9

Do you care for manual controls? I might play with them some, but I'm new to the digital camera world so probably won't use them most of the time

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
Shooting friends/family, vacations, landscape, some close-ups
* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Most likely not

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Probably half of the time

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? not often but possible

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? No, but I've heard excellent things about canon

Are there particular models you already have in mind? canon

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) not sure - hoping others can tell me

TIA!!

Rachel Archer
06-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Dear Tia,

I'm as noobish as one can get when it comes to the world of digital photography (have not yet even bought my first camera, came here, did a lot of reading, asked many questions and am now much closer! :D *giggles*).

I can say that I think you will want the Image Stabilization that you get with the SD800 you've bought. Bear in mind my inexperience, but I think the two photos below, taken with the SD800 by Jeff here at the site for his review, speak for themselves. The blurry one is with the IS turned off, the sharper one with it on. I myself wouldn't consider a camera that doesn't have IS. Hope this helps a little, at least with this bit!

Fondly,

Rachel :)

newporpm
06-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks Rachel - I probably will just stick with the one I have. By the way, TIA means "thanks in advance" - it's not my name LOL :D

David Metsky
06-17-2007, 06:52 AM
None of the SD series have manual controls beyond a few basic knobs (white balance, ISO). The SD800 has a much wider lens (28mm vs 35mm). That, plus IS makes it a much more capable camera IMO.