PDA

View Full Version : Delayed response

Mommy
06-16-2007, 05:55 PM
I have been using a Canon Power Shot s500 and was happy with the features and quality until it recently died. My only problem with it was the delayed response. As a Mom, I am always trying to catch the quick smile or action of my kids and when I press the button it takes a few seconds for the picture to actually take - missing the moment. Is there a compact camera that will actually take the picture when I hit the button or do I need to move up to the SLRs?

John_Reed
06-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I have been using a Canon Power Shot s500 and was happy with the features and quality until it recently died. My only problem with it was the delayed response. As a Mom, I am always trying to catch the quick smile or action of my kids and when I press the button it takes a few seconds for the picture to actually take - missing the moment. Is there a compact camera that will actually take the picture when I hit the button or do I need to move up to the SLRs?"Hit the button" implies that you want to mash the shutter button in a one-step shooting process. Here's what you do: Half-depress the shutter button to achieve Auto exposure and Auto focus locks. Keep your finger there, and follow the kid until he/she smiles, then depress the button the rest of the way. You'll find that way you can capture that smile much more effectively. That's the parameter known as "shutter lag" for modern digital cameras, and by itself, it's very short; it's when you try to add in the AE/AF delay to the shutter lag by "mashing" the button, that it takes too long.