PDA

View Full Version : The dslr plunge or not?

ninjowned
06-16-2007, 02:50 PM
For the past few months Iíve been looking into getting a new camera. Iím a little bit tired of getting my film developed (from my Canon A-1) and my Panasonic TZ1, though perfect as a point and shoot (which is why I got it,) doesnít have what I want in terms of manual controls.

Iíve been looking at making the jump to dslr, actually it looks like that would be the way to go, but recently Iíve had some doubts. I know Kodakís new color filter tech is a long way off, at least a year, probably closer a year and a half to two, but thatís a pretty big step in camera tech.

Basically I either want a camera I can use to improve my photography skills with the convenience of being digital, something that will last me until the new image sensor tech is out (like maybe a good ultra zoom or something)

Or

A dslr I can invest into now (D80 or XTi,) because I know if I go dslr now itíll be for the long run, probably 5 years minimum. Though I was also contemplating a cheaper dslr to hold me for a few years.

Budget

$600 at most unless I get into the dslr category then I have $1000 to play around with.

Size

Doesnít matter.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?
6 at the least.

* What optical zoom will you need?
10x-12x at least.

Do you care for manual controls?
Theyíre a must.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
Everything from concert and sports to landscape and night shots.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
Probably not, for the most part.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Donít hate any of them. I have a Panny TZ1 and love it (though the lcd is now broken :() I have an old Canon A-1 and love it. Iím also partial to Nikon.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

In the dslr category I was looking at the D40 (because the D80 may be a bit out of my price range,) the XTi, and the D80. Otherwise I donít have any models in mind.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features?

Iíd like Wide Angle and IS. Though Wide Angle isnít that important.

I bring my camera with me almost everywhere, be it my panny or my A-1. I also like to go out and take pictures when I have free time or need to clear my mind. The TZ1 doesn't cut it when I go out with picture taking in mind and the A-1 is a pain because I can't review my shots. I definitely need a new camera, one where I'm in control.

Thanks for reading all this and thanks for the help! :D