PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Versatile Digital Camera

stalukdar
06-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I am trying to find a versatile digital camera that can be used in as many different situations as possible with image (picture quality) as uniformly good (if not excellent) as possible.

The following are my specifications:

Budget: Less that $ 400 (US)

Size: Not an important factor

Optical zoom: 10x +

Megapixel: 7+

Image Quality: Very Important factor - 8+

General Usage: Must be versatile - Should be very good for nature scenes (landscapes, seascapes, skyscapes), Should be very good for still life, Should be reasonably good for action, Should be good for indoor/low light (night) also

Prints: 4 x 6 standard, 8 x 10 sometimes, 10 x 12 rarely

Brands: I do not have any particular choices. I was doing some research on my own and narrowed down the field to Kodak ZD710, Olympus SP 510, Panasonic TZ3 and FZ8, Fufi S6000fd, but am unable to make a choice. The main reason being I am still not satisfied with the choices made.

I have been using an Olympus OM 10 film SLR with Carl Zeiss 35-70mm and Vivitar 70-210mm lenses for the last 10 years and am looking for a less heavy :) 2nd camera that will give pretty close to same output if not same or better output.

Please provide more input/information to help me make a choice.

Thanks in advance.
Sanjib.

speaklightly
06-16-2007, 04:00 PM
Sanjib-

You might want to take a look at the new Fuji S-5700/S-700. There are a lot of photo samples in the Fuji File under "Photo from the S-700." It meet all of your requirements, and it is selling in the USA for around $(US) 200.00. It is a fine camera for the price with many enthusiastic users.

Sarah Joyce

flippedgazelle
06-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Sanjib, what, in your opinion, is the fatal flaw of the Fuji S6000fd? I'm curious, as that seems to be the ultrazoom that most meets your stated needs, other than coming up a little short in the mp department (6.3 vs 7).