PDA

View Full Version : help please with which smallish camera

puckerel
06-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

I have access to a Canon powershot S315 but my partner keeps taking it abroad. Also it is too big and heavy and complex for me plus I don't like the fact that it doesn't have a normal viewfinder - at least not one I can find and in some lights it is difficult to see what you are aiming at and I don't like the wide angle -or it doesn't go wide in the way that my old canon plus wide angle lenses did.

WISH LIST small and light, good resolution -take a lot of close ups of the kids,
good wide angle (lots of outdoor scenics) real viewfinder - quick off the mark -good zoom - rechargable batteries or charger -good video/movie facility but don't need lots of gimmicks.

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. c.£200 give or take.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
small, light, unobtrusive one I can slip into coat pocket canon pwershot s31s too big.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you? 5-6 or more

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) bigger the better

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
Do you care for manual controls?
if possible - I used to do everything manually - but not the most important
General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? outside -kids, close ups, friends, scenics

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? -not important

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? yes at parties, but not the most important

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
yes of kids doing their sports -football, tennis, riding, surfing etc

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? didn't like our first digital sony ?finiepix because it was so slow -action often finished while camera was still preparing, but probably because of its age!

Are there particular models you already have in mind? I thought I might like the Panasonic TZ (with the Leica wide) as it has a good zoom and a wide angle - but not clear about its movie mode - or other problems it might have
and I've never had a pnasonic camera - (we also have a fujifinepix I think -the one with the big screen which is fantastic for my daughter who parties every weekend)

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
yes wide angle please

any help appreciated - many thanks
puckerel