PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice

duck
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi,
I am a ceramic artist who has traditionally shot 35mm slides or medium format transparencies to represent my work - for books and magazines, entering exhibitions, applying for grants etc. Do any of you have a recommendation for a digital camera that can shoot publication-worthy images (high quality - 300 dpi, uncompressed tiffs), and still be a good "snapshot" camera for everyday use? Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.

speaklightly
06-14-2007, 12:31 PM
duck-

My suggestion would be to take a look at the Fuji S-700 ultrazoom. It is a bit smaller than the Canon S-3IS. The S-700 has 7.1 mp, 10X optical Zoom (38 to 280mm, in 35mm terms), Both Macro and Super Macro modes (it will focus as close as 0.4 of an inch), has a very good video mode, Fuji's Intelligent Flash, which really works well, and a very sharp lens (F 3.5 to 3.7).

In the Fuji Folder on this Forum you can find a lot of shots from this great little ultrazoom camera. Now do you want to hear the best part? The Fuji S-700 sells for right around $(US) 200.00. I purchased mine from www.buy.com for $(US) 197.00 with shipping by using a coupon.

I will attach a S-700 macro photo to this post for your reference. However, there are a lot more photos over in the Fuji Folder.

Sarah Joyce

duck
06-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Thank you for your help Sarah, I appreciate it. The Fuji sounds like a good camera for my needs, and I'll definitely check it out.
Thanks again,
duck