PDA

View Full Version : Underwater camera - $200 or under?

CoolRabbit
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I am looking for an underwater digital camera for $200 or under - would prefer one that is not a camera with a casing, but atthis point am looking for anything in my price range that takes GOOD photos and takes an SD card. Any opinions? Not looking for one that needs to go beyond 15 feet depth or so, we are talking minor diving/snorkeling photos.

kgosden
06-13-2007, 08:50 PM
I honestly do not think you will find a camera that meets your needs at that price point; at least not new. The best, and really only, case free camera for UW work is the Olympus 770SW, but it is about $320 online. It goes over 30ft down without a case. You might try the previous model 720/725SW on Olympus' factory refurb eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Olympus-Auctions). This camera is rated to 15ft without a case. They seem to go for $200-250.

If you can tolerate a small case they also seem to have a lot of cases for older Olympus cameras at amazing prices (less than $100). If you picked up a used C5000 or similar and a case it might only run $200. However, it will not take SD cards.

Olympus has been a strong supporter of UW photography supplying factory cases for many of their cameras. Canon is probably a close second.

CoolRabbit
06-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I found the 720 and 725 both at good prices. The descritpions don't give a lot of details - whcih camera do you think is better - i.e. more waterproof, better pictures? Thanks!